• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi learning ???????

Hi Guys,
    I hope you are all going well.
    Here what I am trying to do.

In a Stack, I have installed a ButtonBox module and a Keyboard module. I have attached a midi cable between the ButtonBox module midi out to the KeyBoard module midi in.
    Then, I would like that when I click on the button 1 , the Hold button in the KeyBoard module will follow. So, I choose midi learn on the Hold button with the mouse and then click on the button 1.
    The learning does not learn. I am missing something ??????????

Thanks

You need to set up & define your controller in the Controller Setup page from the main menu first . (Use + button to create)
    Choose Generic Midi , set midi channel to Omni & you can use a different channel for each Stack . You have to define knobs & buttons , which can then be assigned
    on each stack midi learn page .
    You could also use the Performance Controller option which is newer addition meant to only define once & change control dynamically between Stacks , but I have found
    pickup issues with knobs ( need to continue bug report with Jim about this )
    new to this myself , just posted quickly to help

Comment

Originally posted by Chancey View Post
      You need to set up & define your controller in the Controller Setup page from the main menu first . (Use + button to create)
      Choose Generic Midi , set midi channel to Omni & you can use a different channel for each Stack . You have to define knobs & buttons , which can then be assigned
      on each stack midi learn page .
      You could also use the Performance Controller option which is newer addition meant to only define once & change control dynamically between Stacks , but I have found
      pickup issues with knobs ( need to continue bug report with Jim about this )
      new to this myself , just posted quickly to help
      I am sorry but I did all that and it still does not work for me .

Comment

Originally posted by Aramis View Post
        Hi Guys,

So, I choose midi learn on the Hold button with the mouse and then click on the button 1.
        The learning does not learn. I am missing something ??????????

Thanks

When you say you "choose midi learn on the hold button" do you mean you right click on it and choose "Learn MIDI CC"? Did you define a CC for the button? You might have to send the MIDI output from the button box to an IAC bus and then create a generic MIDI controller that receives from that bus--then learn the CC from that. I don't think N4 can learn internal CCs. That's what I would try if you had to use MIDI. I guess that would mean the button box would need to be in it's own stack so you could route its output to the IAC.

The other thing would be to use the Param Mod module and use the CV out of the button. Just tested it and it works. This is actually a better way than the IAC thing. Turn off "Auto Scale" on the param mod channel.

pasted from manual:

page 46-47

D. Use the ParamMod module with an existing CV source.

This is the “manual mode” for setting up ParamMod. It takes a bit more time to setup than the previous methods, but is also the most flexible. If you are going to use a CV source other than an LFO, Envelope or Modulation Seq, then this is the approach you need to take.

1. First off, determine what your CV source for modulation will be, such as a TripleXY or a FaderBox, each of which offers several CV sources you can work with.

2. Now add a ParamMod module to the same stack as your CV Source. This module is in the “CV Pro- cessing” group of the “Advanced” Module Library. It has two “voices” of ParamMod function that you can use. They are fully independent.

3. Switch to the routing panel for that stack, and route your CV source (or sources) to the ParamMod module.

4. Back on the front panel view of the module, choose the target module and target parameter you want to modify. When you choose the target parameter, the Min and Max value fields will update to indicate the legal range of values the parameter can be set to. Now is the time to adjust these values if you want to limit the ParamMod range.

5. Some parameters, such as the “StepValue” parameters of some sequencers, have multiple values that can be set. Those are called “indexed” parameters. If you specify an indexed parameter as your target parameter for modulation, the “Index” field will pop up and you should choose which index you want to modify.

6. Decide if you want AutoScale on or off. If it is on, it will assume the incoming CV’s value range is [-1, +1], and scale it so that it covers the ranges specified by the min and max values. If it is off, no scaling is applied, but the value range will be clipped to the min and max values. This latter mode is very use-
        ful if your CV source has the same range as the parameter you plan to modify. 7. Now un-mute the ParamMod voice you have setup, and try it out.
        Last edited by djb; 02-22-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post

When you say you "choose midi learn on the hold button" do you mean you right click on it and choose "Learn MIDI CC"? Did you define a CC for the button? You might have to send the MIDI output from the button box to an IAC bus and then create a generic MIDI controller that receives from that bus--then learn the CC from that. I don't think N4 can learn internal CCs. That's what I would try if you had to use MIDI. I guess that would mean the button box would need to be in it's own stack so you could route its output to the IAC.

The other thing would be to use the Param Mod module and use the CV out of the button. Just tested it and it works. This is actually a better way than the IAC thing. Turn off "Auto Scale" on the param mod channel.
          The buttons module is on the same stack as the keyboard module and I have set the button 1 to CC 50 and the buttons module midi out is connected to the keyboard module midi in .
          Then, I have also connected the buttons module midi out to the stack midi output that is connected to a tool to view midi activity. And, when I click on the button , I do see the CC 50 appearing in the midi viewer tool. So, for me it does not make sense that I would have to create a controller to do what I was hoping to do. I understand that it is probably not a bug but I wish I could do it the way it look logical. In the mean time, I have found another way to deal with the hold button in the keyboard module. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aramis View Post
            The buttons module is on the same stack as the keyboard module and I have set the button 1 to CC 50 and the buttons module midi out is connected to the keyboard module midi in .
            Then, I have also connected the buttons module midi out to the stack midi output that is connected to a tool to view midi activity. And, when I click on the button , I do see the CC 50 appearing in the midi viewer tool. So, for me it does not make sense that I would have to create a controller to do what I was hoping to do. I understand that it is probably not a bug but I wish I could do it the way it look logical. In the mean time, I have found another way to deal with the hold button in the keyboard module. Thanks
            Did you try the Param Mod thing? I understand it seems like it should work to just send the CC straight from one module to the other, but it doesn't. Learning CCs is for control from outside Numerology. CV modulation is for controlling things within Numerology. And the Param Mod module is how you would do that for a button box. Sounds like your issue is solved, though.

Comment

[QUOTE=djb;n33559]

Did you try the Param Mod thing? I understand it seems like it should work to just send the CC straight from one module to the other, but it doesn't. Learning CCs is for control from outside Numerology. CV modulation is for controlling things within Numerology. And the Param Mod module is how you would do that for a button box. Sounds like your issue is solved, though.[/QUOTELearning CCs is for control from outside ..... Well ,I am more a midi user then a CV user because I load Synths in Numerology and use a lot midi learning in those synths to control the synths parameters with Numerology events . I do not use at all external hardware boxes ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X