Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any news about Numerology 5.0 or Numerology M1 native possibly ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any news about Numerology 5.0 or Numerology M1 native possibly ?

    Hi Jim,
    I wake up often in the middle of the night ;-) And, i was dreaming i was playing with Numerology 5 natively on a new MacMini M1 ;-) Stay safe Jim

  • #2
    Numerology 5 was announced in August of 2017. In the announcement, the following guidance was offered: " I expect to have a beta out this fall, and the release will not be until after January of next year (2018)."

    The first part of that statement doesn't appear to have been borne out by subsequent developments (to the extent that there have been any developments. Or development.) Nearly three and a half years later, there has been no hint at the existence of a beta.

    The second part of the statement, while technically true in that no release occurred before January 2018, certainly gave us grievously false hopes about the N5 timetable.

    Also in the announcement was the following promise: "Anyone who purchases Numerology 4 on or after August 1 2017 will get a free upgrade." That means that if N5 were to ever actually be released, Jim would make no money whatsoever from any customers from the last 3+ years, unless Jim reneges on his pledge--which would be reputation suicide. During that time, music software pricing has trended lower to the point that $199 looks expensive for a software step sequencer. The fact is that it's not that expensive at all given what it can do, but you have to spend a little time with it in order to know that. So for potential new users it's a little bit of a tough sell. And the marketing effort appears to be basically non-existent.

    So given all that, what's the incentive for Jim. the solo developer, to devote all the necessary time to deliver a working beta, and go through a deep and daunting testing and QA process before he can release something for which he can't even charge any of his customers from from the last three years? And then he'd have to support it! And Apple, the only platform it's offered on, keeps changing shit in a major way, making the support job tougher.

    Realistically, all that would take more time than he's got as a lone developer, tester, supporter, etc., for not very much money, probably. Meanwhile: building, selling, updating, and supporting the Vector is a full time job. At least a full time job for one person. He's probably going nuts just managing that. But he has a MUCH more reliable revenue stream from that, I think it's safe to say.

    So what would you do in Jim's situation? If, like me, you are wanting and waiting for N5, I'm sorry to say we might be disappointed. Be realistic. To expect N5 to be delivered is to expect Jim to take valuable time away from a huge demanding job that he knows is making money and devote that time to a huge, demanding job that he knows probably is not making much money.

    I'd love to be wrong and maybe I am. Maybe N5 is around the corner and we'll get it. If and when that happens, I will become a loud and active online user/evangelist. I hope other Numerology lovers will join in and get the word out and not let it die.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by disgruntled View Post
      Numerology 5 was announced in August of 2017. In the announcement, the following guidance was offered: " I expect to have a beta out this fall, and the release will not be until after January of next year (2018)."

      The first part of that statement doesn't appear to have been borne out by subsequent developments (to the extent that there have been any developments. Or development.) Nearly three and a half years later, there has been no hint at the existence of a beta.

      The second part of the statement, while technically true in that no release occurred before January 2018, certainly gave us grievously false hopes about the N5 timetable.

      Also in the announcement was the following promise: "Anyone who purchases Numerology 4 on or after August 1 2017 will get a free upgrade." That means that if N5 were to ever actually be released, Jim would make no money whatsoever from any customers from the last 3+ years, unless Jim reneges on his pledge--which would be reputation suicide. During that time, music software pricing has trended lower to the point that $199 looks expensive for a software step sequencer. The fact is that it's not that expensive at all given what it can do, but you have to spend a little time with it in order to know that. So for potential new users it's a little bit of a tough sell. And the marketing effort appears to be basically non-existent.

      So given all that, what's the incentive for Jim. the solo developer, to devote all the necessary time to deliver a working beta, and go through a deep and daunting testing and QA process before he can release something for which he can't even charge any of his customers from from the last three years? And then he'd have to support it! And Apple, the only platform it's offered on, keeps changing shit in a major way, making the support job tougher.

      Realistically, all that would take more time than he's got as a lone developer, tester, supporter, etc., for not very much money, probably. Meanwhile: building, selling, updating, and supporting the Vector is a full time job. At least a full time job for one person. He's probably going nuts just managing that. But he has a MUCH more reliable revenue stream from that, I think it's safe to say.

      So what would you do in Jim's situation? If, like me, you are wanting and waiting for N5, I'm sorry to say we might be disappointed. Be realistic. To expect N5 to be delivered is to expect Jim to take valuable time away from a huge demanding job that he knows is making money and devote that time to a huge, demanding job that he knows probably is not making much money.

      I'd love to be wrong and maybe I am. Maybe N5 is around the corner and we'll get it. If and when that happens, I will become a loud and active online user/evangelist. I hope other Numerology lovers will join in and get the word out and not let it die.
      Hi , All of what you said makes sense to me . Like I said , all of this was in my dreams at night ;-)

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah. And I am just venting my frustration. I understand rationally why it's not happening, but I'm still bummed about it.

        Comment


        • #5
          i'm hopeful we'll get some news from Jim regarding N5. when it does come i'll happily pay for the update. I binge on numerology. i won't use it for a while then i'll make a bunch of tracks with it then won't use it for a while. i've found that it's a really smooth process to jam with it then open those sequences as a plug in in live or logic and continue to flesh out the jams. i'm not really missing anything but i know there's things that'll be better or easier in N5 and that Jim has plans for things we're not aware of.. not to mention fixing any bugs etc.

          with the vector sequencer taking up a lot of his time and what's sure to be a more complicated process supporting Big Sur and apple silicon M series processors there' s likely some strategizing that's going on on how to confront all this.

          i have faith in Jim being able to deliver on N5 at some point. and sure.. we'd all like it sooner rather than later but he's just one person. Also, i think whatever he's promised in regards to getting N5 for free if N4 was purchased... to me, it seems unlikely that he'd renege on that promise.

          it's been a difficult year and the universe laughed at everyone's plans. hopefully everyone can start to get back on track in the coming months as the vaccines roll out etc.

          anyway.. i'm not disputing any of the frustrations and venting in this thread.. just adding my cents of hope.
          http://www.ignatiusmusic.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Regarding M1 / BigSur, anyone tried N4 on one and happen to know if it's working under Rosetta?
            AUMX / VSTi versions?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nreeves View Post
              Regarding M1 / BigSur, anyone tried N4 on one and happen to know if it's working under Rosetta?
              AUMX / VSTi versions?
              I am very interested about that too ;-)

              Comment


              • #8
                I too am very interested in that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Got one on order, will post results soon as it shows.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nreeves View Post
                    Got one on order, will post results soon as it shows.
                    What have you ordered ? MacBook or MacMini and how much memory ? I am curious ;-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Bottom rung Macbook Air. Feels weird in some ways, but it seems a sweet spot. The MBP spec I was considering was nearly double the price which doesn’t make much sense atm. Once the hardware is more mature, when we’ve got some CPU options, a higher RAM ceiling, and importantly for me better external display support, I’ll think about spending more and hopefully replacing my main system (quite interested to see how the MP manifests). By that point the software side should have caught up a bit as well.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X