Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing individual stacks and some other stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing individual stacks and some other stuff...

Hi, I've just started evaluating Numerology and so far really like what I see, there are just a few things I'm struggling with at the moment.

The first is how I can just play the stack I am working on. The transport buttons on the stack are linked to the global transport, so clicking them starts the song. I have tried setting the stacks play mode to manual but then the stack doesn't play at all.

Also, is it possible to hear the note as you enter it in the various note modules, specifically when the song isn't playing? So as you move the slider, it plays the note allowing you to position it at the correct pitch.

Finally, I have some audio units that output MIDI, is it possible to use them in Numerology? I couldn't see any way of routing them.

Thanks,

Paul

Originally posted by timmytobias View Post
    Hi, I've just started evaluating Numerology and so far really like what I see, there are just a few things I'm struggling with at the moment.

The first is how I can just play the stack I am working on. The transport buttons on the stack are linked to the global transport, so clicking them starts the song. I have tried setting the stacks play mode to manual but then the stack doesn't play at all.
    There are several options:
    - You can use the mute and solo buttons in the mixer (and on each Stack Out module) to mute/solo both MIDI and audio. Soloing a stack is the fastest way to just hear that stack.

- You can mute or turn off individual sequencers. I will often setup a preset for each stack called 'muted' where I turn off the sequencers in that stack. Then I can easily trigger that preset when I want to mute a stack.

- You can turn off each stack via the 'power' button on the Stack Input module. That both mutes the stack and makes sure it doesn't consume any CPU.

Also, is it possible to hear the note as you enter it in the various note modules, specifically when the song isn't playing? So as you move the slider, it plays the note allowing you to position it at the correct pitch.
    You can option-click on any sequencer step to hear the note it plays.

Finally, I have some audio units that output MIDI, is it possible to use them in Numerology? I couldn't see any way of routing them.
    Not yet. It shouldn't be hard to add, but I don't get requests for it often. I will give it a bump on the feature list and see if I can get it in for 4.1.

Cheers,
    Jim

Comment

Thanks.

I don't think I explained my first issue about playing a single stack very well. It wasn't just the soloing of the stack but also playing it, irrespective of what was going on in the timeline (e.g. if you try to play a stack when it isn't active at the current position in the timeline noting happens). However, I assume the workaround to that is just to turn off the arrangement while working on new presets.

If your taking suggestions though, I think a way of being able to quickly play a stack on its own, ignoring what is going on in the timeline and without advancing the song would be a really useful feature.

Also, I think a note preview option would be very useful, so the note actually plays as you dial in the step. The option click feature is useful but you have to do this after you set the note.

One last thing, which I'm not sure is possible but... Can you create your own global MIDI mappings for setting pitches and gates, which only work on the active/visible stack?

I have an Arturia BeatStep and have mapped the rotaries to the pitches and pads to the gates. I have then saved this as a preset for the MonoNote. This works really well, however, if I forget to turn off the MIDI input of one stack when I start working on another, I end up unintentionally editing both stacks which is very infuriating.

Thanks again.

Paul

Comment

In fact, I've just noticed that it doesn't matter if I do turn off the MIDI input, it still alters any stack that uses the preset. I assume this is a bug?

Comment

Thanks.

I don't think I explained my first issue about playing a single stack very well. It wasn't just the soloing of the stack but also playing it, irrespective of what was going on in the timeline (e.g. if you try to play a stack when it isn't active at the current position in the timeline noting happens). However, I assume the workaround to that is just to turn off the arrangement while working on new presets.
          Ahh, in that case, the thing to do is indeed to set the Arrange mode to OFF when you want to ignore the timeline.

If your taking suggestions though, I think a way of being able to quickly play a stack on its own, ignoring what is going on in the timeline and without advancing the song would be a really useful feature.
          Arrange on/off should work pretty while while playing… To be specific, you can leave on the main arrangement, but just tweak single stacks to ignore it -- see the 'Arrange' menu item for each stack in the Timeline, and also on the Mixer channel for each stack.

Also, I think a note preview option would be very useful, so the note actually plays as you dial in the step. The option click feature is useful but you have to do this after you set the note.
          I agree -- the option-click-after-set did seem a bit odd… on the fix list!

One last thing, which I'm not sure is possible but... Can you create your own global MIDI mappings for setting pitches and gates, which only work on the active/visible stack?
          Not yet -- long story there… For now the thing to do is to get ahold of a Launchpad or Push if you can -- that offers by far the best hardware control for programming pitched sequences.

Comment

In fact, I've just noticed that it doesn't matter if I do turn off the MIDI input, it still alters any stack that uses the preset. I assume this is a bug?
            Hmm, let's say an expected side effect. The MIDI Mappings for a module are saved with module presets -- so you can save some custom mappings and reload them easily. But, as you noticed, if you load the same preset twice, both modules will listen to the same controls. You can edit those mappings for each module -- see the "Edit MIDI/OSC Mappings" item in the module settings menu -- the 'gear' menu in each module header.

One trick that may work for you -- depending on your controller -- is to use the same CCs but different channels for each module…

Cheers,
            Jim

Comment

Working...
            X