Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundflower does not work in OS X 10.9

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Soundflower does not work in OS X 10.9

    I have a problem. An unforeseen consequence of updating to OS X 10.9 has been that Soundflower no longer works. I used to use it to send Numerology 3 audio into Ableton Live version 6. Now I can't do that. Numerology also does not work as a plugin in Live anymore. I prefer to have Num as a standalone program and send the audio into Live. Is there anything else out there that can do what Soundflower did?

    The alternative could be to work completely in Numerology, but that is not a great option for me and my partial knowledge of Num. Live is a lot easier for me when it comes to working with audio samples. And my computer is too old and slow to have a lot of synth/fx vsts open at once. I want Soundflower back! any ideas?

  • #2
    Jack - http://jackaudio.org

    Comment


    • #3
      Jack seems to be making Numerology crash constantly. Whenever Jack is on, and I start Num, Num instantly crashes. frustrating.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hello,
        did you try use rewire?
        Live could be master and slave, so it should be possible to use Numerology as slave and Live as master.
        For my self I use rewire between Numerology and Cubase 0n 10.9, preparing a stack in Numerology and record MIDI and/or Audio at Cubase and then the next.
        best
        jue
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Soundflower does not work in OS X 10.9

          I'm using OS X 10.9.x and Soundflower seems to work fine for me although I don't use it on a daily basis. Perhaps if you uninstalled and re-installed?

          ...edN

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eenixon View Post
            I'm using OS X 10.9.x and Soundflower seems to work fine for me although I don't use it on a daily basis. Perhaps if you uninstalled and re-installed?

            ...edN
            Ive just test JackOSX (on 10.9.x) and it also works fine with Numerology,
            so I suspect the problems are elsewhere.

            personally, I don't often use Jack (or Soundflower) I prefer to use my audio interfaces loopback, failing that Id use rewire.

            Comment


            • #7
              hmm... Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. I used to use Rewire to have Numerology use the same clock as Live. But now that I've got the most recent OS for Mac, my old copy of Live 6 does not do rewire in OSX 10.9. I didn't know that Rewire does audio, because I had been using Soundflower to route the Num audio to Live. I thought about trying out Reaper as a DAW and maybe I wouldn't have these problems. Updating Live will be a bit expensive. You guys are saying Soundflower still works in OSX 10.9, but others say it does not, and for me it does not. Thanks for the tips everyone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                hmm... Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. I used to use Rewire to have Numerology use the same clock as Live. But now that I've got the most recent OS for Mac, my old copy of Live 6 does not do rewire in OSX 10.9. I didn't know that Rewire does audio, because I had been using Soundflower to route the Num audio to Live. I thought about trying out Reaper as a DAW and maybe I wouldn't have these problems. Updating Live will be a bit expensive. You guys are saying Soundflower still works in OSX 10.9, but others say it does not, and for me it does not. Thanks for the tips everyone.
                I didn't test soundflower (as I don't use it) I only always use Jack when I want to do sound routing via software, and that worked fine, with 10.9.4
                btw, with Jack, you should never turn off the routing whilst an application is running, that will almost certainly crash it.... but I specifically tested using N4 with Jack as output, and routed in Jack that to Ableton to an audio track. and it worked fine.

                Are you using Numerology 4? (Ive got 3 but didnt test it)

                Rewire, yeah its routes midi (and audio) from master to slave and audio back from the slave to the master. (note: you cannot send midi from slave to master)

                I think perhaps Live 6 is the issue, yeah try Reaper, it supports both rewire and jack.... of course there are other DAWs as well if your upgrading but think live is a bit pricey.
                (bitwig is being offered pretty cheaply, thought doesnt have rewire, but has clips if thats a feature of ableton you use alot)
                anyway, most daws (including Live) ofter a demo, so perhaps try the demos, and that will let you know if the DAW is the issue.


                EDIT: just checked Jack also works with Numerology 3 to Live 9
                Last edited by TheTechnobear; 12-07-2014, 03:19 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                  hmm... Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. I used to use Rewire to have Numerology use the same clock as Live. But now that I've got the most recent OS for Mac, my old copy of Live 6 does not do rewire in OSX 10.9. I didn't know that Rewire does audio, because I had been using Soundflower to route the Num audio to Live. I thought about trying out Reaper as a DAW and maybe I wouldn't have these problems. Updating Live will be a bit expensive. You guys are saying Soundflower still works in OSX 10.9, but others say it does not, and for me it does not. Thanks for the tips everyone.
                  Just before the 4.0 release I discovered an issue with the 32-bit ReWire driver. It looks suspiciously like a compiler-related problem, so I don't know if I can resolve it -- I am looking into some options, but for now 32-bit ReWire (which is what Live 6 I'm almost certain requires) is purely an "if it works" optional install. You can get the 32-bit N4 ReWire driver from here:

                  http://www.five12.com/vbForum/showthread.php?t=2857

                  ... Download, un-zip and copy to :
                  /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've been testing out some alternatives to my old setup involving Rewire, Numerology, and Live 6. Turns out that Soundflower works with Live 6, and I don't know what I was thinking when I made the thread title. So, the good thing is I can use Num to its fullest with Launchpad and lots of mod sequencers controlling synth parameters, and just chuck the audio into Live. But Rewire doesn't work so the clocks are not synced.

                    This led me to check out syncing the clocks via Midi Clock, as per the Num manual. This sort of works but the clocks do not stay in sync and drift quite a bit. Unless I'm not doing it right, this way won't work.

                    Another idea is to use Num as a plugin in Live. But what I can't seem to figure out is how to use Num to modulate synth parameters when it's a plugin, because I'll have Num on one midi channel, and a synth vst on another, rather than in the same stack when Num's in standalone mode. This is not a bad way, but I can't use Num to control synth/sampler parameters in my Reaktor ensembles (my vst of choice), and that's a big loss.

                    I tried Reaper but I couldn't rewire it with Num either, except as a plugin.

                    So, best option seems to be to use Num and Live 6, and just forget having their clocks synced, and use Live like a tape recorder and for some little edits to finish the tracks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                      This led me to check out syncing the clocks via Midi Clock, as per the Num manual. This sort of works but the clocks do not stay in sync and drift quite a bit. Unless I'm not doing it right, this way won't work.
                      Sounds like a missed setting somewhere. Which app are you using as the master? Do both transports start at the same time? If you like, email me screenshots of your settings for both Numerology and Live.

                      Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                      Another idea is to use Num as a plugin in Live. But what I can't seem to figure out is how to use Num to modulate synth parameters when it's a plugin, because I'll have Num on one midi channel, and a synth vst on another, rather than in the same stack when Num's in standalone mode. This is not a bad way, but I can't use Num to control synth/sampler parameters in my Reaktor ensembles (my vst of choice), and that's a big loss.
                      You can use MIDI CCs and possibly NRPNs in that case -- it takes a bit more work than when the plugins are hosted in Numerology, but it should work...

                      Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                      So, best option seems to be to use Num and Live 6, and just forget having their clocks synced, and use Live like a tape recorder and for some little edits to finish the tracks.
                      That's actually what I do w/ DP....

                      Cheers,
                      Jim

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jim View Post
                        Sounds like a missed setting somewhere. Which app are you using as the master? Do both transports start at the same time? If you like, email me screenshots of your settings for both Numerology and Live.
                        I use Live as the master. Both transports start at the same time, but one odd thing is that a Num sequencer, Mononote for example, with a rate of 16th goes through its sequence at a speed of 32nd, while still displaying 16th. and the bpm displayed in Num is going wild 1-1000 bpm, but just visually, not in the sound.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                          I use Live as the master. Both transports start at the same time, but one odd thing is that a Num sequencer, Mononote for example, with a rate of 16th goes through its sequence at a speed of 32nd, while still displaying 16th. and the bpm displayed in Num is going wild 1-1000 bpm, but just visually, not in the sound.
                          That sounds like you've got a MIDI loop, or somehow are transmitting the same clock signal twice over one port -- I assume an IAC Bus. MIDI Clock's main message is a clock tick 24x a beat -- if that gets doubled up, then the software on the other end will indeed run at weird tempos. Double-check your Sync settings in Live -- dedicate 1 IAC Bus for sync transmission only -- don't use that IAC Bus for anything else -- and make sure there are no tracks in Live or stacks in Numerology listening or transmitting on that bus, except for the sync settings in both apps...

                          Cheers,
                          Jim

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X