vst or au

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vst or au

what are the differences? when i use a vat instance i get audio crackles when switching tracks on the fly in ableton. I'm using a normal launchpad to control my live tracks and a mini to control the numerology plugins. don't get audio crackle with au.

Originally posted by resist View Post
    what are the differences? when i use a vat instance i get audio crackles when switching tracks on the fly in ableton. I'm using a normal launchpad to control my live tracks and a mini to control the numerology plugins. don't get audio crackle with au.
    Interesting... Check to make sure you have the latest build (#147). The next time it happens, take a sec and use the 'mail' button on the VST's UI to send a bug report...

Thanks,
    Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim ,bug report sent. It doesn't seem to be cpu related. Maybe something with my launchpad settings. I'm running nativekontrols ditto script on the main launchpad ( push emulation) and using my mini for numerology. Probably Ableton related so I may send a report to them too.

After some research it's likely it's the push emulation. I'll set up a set without that and see what happens. Something to do with push arming tracks and latency. Good thing I found this before I bought a push if there is no fix.
      Last edited by resist; 11-28-2014, 05:46 AM.

Comment

yep something going on with push and arming tracks causing glitches.stupid ableton if it wasn't for maxforlive id be jumping ship

Comment

hmm maybe it is the numerology vst. I wish i was more tech savvy and could figure this out

Comment

I'm running push with ableton (64 bit) using N4 vst and not having any audio glitches when switching/arming tracks

perhaps its the 'push emulation' rather than push functionality?

Comment

Originally posted by resist View Post
              I wish i was more tech savvy and could figure this out
              I don't see any obvious issues in the log. Regarding the difference between the N4 AU and VST, there's actually very little internally. The main difference is in how Live handles the output: MIDI from the VST is read directly and routed to other tracks. W/ the AU, MIDI has to go through an IAC buss. -- That assumes you have similar stacks running in each.

A couple other easy things to check:
              - Start N4 standalone, make sure the debug pref is 'Off'.
              - Check Live's audio buffer size. If it is less than 512 samples, bump
              it to 512 or 1024.

Then, run the MIDIMonitor from snoize.com and have it spy on MIDI to destinations. A full update of the Launchpad grid is definitely something that might cause glitches. There is an easy way to do it -- one msg for every button (80 buttons), and a harder but more efficient way that cuts the number of messages almost in half. Watch for ridiculous amounts of MIDI going to either controller.

Cheers,
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TheTechnobear View Post
                I'm running push with ableton (64 bit) using N4 vst and not having any audio glitches when switching/arming tracks

perhaps its the 'push emulation' rather than push functionality?
                when I don't have n4 vst in a set it doesn't glitch.

Comment

does it glitch only when you go to the N4, or when you are moving around other tracks too.
                  does it glitch if you have N4 loaded, but don't have push emulation on?
                  does it glitch if you have N4 loaded, but don't have mini not setup in N4?

Id try all combos to determine, its only all 3 together that cause the issue, or just 2 of them - will help isolate the problem a bit.

also, have you tried putting the input to - no instrument* (and monitor to IN) on the N4 tracks (assuming its sequencing your doing).
                  just in case, some how you are getting midi data thats intended to go to the launchpad/mini is going into N4 instead.

* if this works, later you can set it to a specific instrument (e,g keyboard), just don't leave it on All Ins.

Id also double check the controller setup in N4 is getting N4 to read (or write to) a midi port it shouldn't.

just ideas really...

Comment

I got some clicking / glitchiness after switching from the AU to the VST ... in my case, increasing the size of my buffer made it go away. I believe Live prioritizes real-time midi in such a was as to drive the cpu high when it's trying to keep everything in the right order if there's a non-trivial amount of data coming in ... I was getting glitches when moving knobs on my hardware controller, and a synth I have that sends NNRPN data on knob moves completely freaked it out until I increased my buffer to 4x what it was originally set to (which was admittedly very low.)

Comment

Originally posted by m5tevens View Post
                      I got some clicking / glitchiness after switching from the AU to the VST ... in my case, increasing the size of my buffer made it go away. I believe Live prioritizes real-time midi in such a was as to drive the cpu high when it's trying to keep everything in the right order if there's a non-trivial amount of data coming in ... I was getting glitches when moving knobs on my hardware controller, and a synth I have that sends NNRPN data on knob moves completely freaked it out until I increased my buffer to 4x what it was originally set to (which was admittedly very low.)
                      What were your starting and ending buffer sizes?

I think your note about Live prioritizing MIDI and its effect on performance is probably spot-on. In a multi-threaded rendering system, getting MIDI from one track to another w/o a delay means rendering both threads on the same CPU -- which negates the benefit of multi-threading the render.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
                        What were your starting and ending buffer sizes?
                        Jim
                        Originally 32, kept bumping it up until the glitching stopped and ended up at 256.

Comment

Working...
                        X