Controlling numerology from Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling numerology from Max

I assume that I could use Numerology to host VSTs which would then be sent MIDI from Max but I have a couple questions before I jump in

1) how would the latency be? In particular, I would be connecting my external controllers to Max via MIDI, Max would do some processing and then send modified MIDI to numerology.

2) could I send MIDI or OSC commands to numerology to cause it to load different VSTs and desired patches....that's a key requirement for me, I don't actually want to touch my computer during live performance

3) can I do arbitrary audio routing from one VST to another, e.g. something like matrix routing so that I can create a chain of audio that gives me both "Inserts" and "Send" capability?

Originally posted by dhjdhj View Post
    I assume that I could use Numerology to host VSTs which would then be sent MIDI from Max but I have a couple questions before I jump in
    groovy -- apologies for the slow reply...

1) how would the latency be? In particular, I would be connecting my external controllers to Max via MIDI, Max would do some processing and then send modified MIDI to numerology.
    Anytime you send MIDI from one app to another, you end up with one or two buffers of delay -- so shorter audio buffers means less delay. For 'controller' type stuff (knob to filter cutoff, etc.), that usually isn't an issue. For playing notes on a keyboard, sometimes it is.

2) could I send MIDI or OSC commands to numerology to cause it to load different VSTs and desired patches....that's a key requirement for me, I don't actually want to touch my computer during live performance
    Numerology has to have all plugins pre-loaded (it hosts AUs), but you can pretty easily set it up to turn them on and off, and send MIDI prog change messages. I have a setup with NI Guitar Rig where I've programmed various FaderBox and ButtonBox modules to control GuitarRig patches, then trigger Num stack presets to change settings.

3) can I do arbitrary audio routing from one VST to another, e.g. something like matrix routing so that I can create a chain of audio that gives me both "Inserts" and "Send" capability?
    Yes, audio routing in Numerology is very, very flexible. Within a stack it is totally modular, and between stacks you get 8 stereo busses which you can access directly (via AudioIn and AudioOut modules), or via aux sends (either pre or post fader).

Cheers,
    Jim

Comment

Working...
    X