Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewB question

Hi fellow N4 people,
    I am a newB here, totally flipped out over Numerology, its my ultimate creative dream platform that I have been pining for for decades!

If someone could part with some very basic wisdom for me, I have a couple of questions before I delve deeply into the abyss....

So far, I have been running in stand alone mode to get a feel for what can be achieved , soon I will attempt to run N4 within Reaper + Cthulhu + Reaktor + CosmosVsaturn & other Au+VST plug ins
    (plus analog synths, H8000fw etc etc).

Questions: (running N4 Pro)
    Is there any difference running N4Pro as a VST plug - vs Au plug?
    Seems to be a bigger focus on Au instruments/plugs around here - is this just a Mac ease of use / standardized platform factor?

What is the advantage in running stand alone mode - apart from more processing power allocated to N4?

Thanks for your time
    Cheers to all Numerologists - this forum is a total gem for learning!
    Jim - your a legend!

Further...

Elaborating the query further ...
    Is it easy/best recording multitrack midi data on Reaper tracks - or best to do N4Pro in stand alone mode, and import midi files back into Reaper?

Plus - will my outputs of my hardware (Mytek 8x192) that are running in Reaper be available in stand alone mode?

That's about it for my NewB questions - thanks for your time

Comment

I'm sure someone wiser will be along soon.. but till then

>Seems to be a bigger focus on Au instruments/plugs around here
      N4 can only load AUs not VSTs

>Is there any difference running N4Pro as a VST plug - vs Au plug?
      AUs are a bit 'awkward' with midi output, its not as standardised for hosts.
      also Jim ( I think, and apologise if I'm wrong!) has said the timing is better with VST plug.
      basically, if your host supports VSTs then use it, in preference to AU version

Standalone vs Plugin
      biggest difference is standalone will host your (au) instruments and also makes rewire available, so depends if you want your instruments in a daw or standalone... so thats dependent upon what you planning to do.
      also, do you want you daw to be the midi master.
      midi outputs should be available to both daw and standalone, though obviously you'll have to take care not to step on each others toes.

for me, I guess i like standalone, as i tend to use it on its own without a daw,
      but i do plan to experiment using n4 as a vst within ableton, and use it more as a midi processor and step sequencer... so i guess it just comes down to what your trying to achieve.
      so ... id say, I use standalone if your doing everything in N4, but if your integrating other things happening in a daw, then you probably want tighter timing with it, so host N4 as a vst.

I think probably you can usually achieve your goals either way.
      TheTechnobear
      Last edited by TheTechnobear; 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that info - really appreciated.

OK - I think I understand it:
        I run N4 inside Reaper as a VST plug in - but running AU plugs/instruments within N4.
        (I had no idea this was possible > - but it makes sense )

I also plan to use it more as a midi processor and step sequencer too.
        I'm happy for N4 to be midi clock master, but would like to trigger Reaktor, Cthulhu etc for more midi madness and controlling external midi & CV synths too.
        Recording the output as midi and audio tracks into Reaper for further manipulation.

Basically - writing & starting ideas within N4, eventually recording the output (midi & audio tracks) and then working in Reaper to arrange /overdub real instruments, edit audio and complete mix works.
        With the poss option of going back to N4 at anytime to overdub and interact new ideas on top of multi tracked sessions...

Are others doing this type of setup?

I appreciate any feedback - N4 has opened up a creative world that I am trying to get my head around & map out a brand new working method/approach to collecting new ideas and keep it all fluid.
        Thanks for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherT View Post
          I run N4 inside Reaper as a VST plug in - but running AU plugs/instruments within N4. (I had no idea this was possible > - but it makes sense )
          No if your running N4 as a VST, within Reaper, then you cannot host AUs within N4. (you can still run the sampler etc)
          my point was N4 in standalone can only host AUs not VSTs, hence why the conversations mention AU more frequently than VST.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTechnobear View Post
            >Is there any difference running N4Pro as a VST plug - vs Au plug?
            AUs are a bit 'awkward' with midi output, its not as standardised for hosts.
            also Jim ( I think, and apologise if I'm wrong!) has said the timing is better with VST plug.
            basically, if your host supports VSTs then use it, in preference to AU version
            Totally correct. All VST hosts have proper support for MIDI out from plugins -- which means better MIDI timing. Not many AU hosts support MIDI out properly, so I always push folks towards the VST as the first option.

Originally posted by TheTechnobear View Post
            Standalone vs Plugin
            biggest difference is standalone will host your (au) instruments and also makes rewire available, so depends if you want your instruments in a daw or standalone... so thats dependent upon what you planning to do.
            also, do you want you daw to be the midi master.
            midi outputs should be available to both daw and standalone, though obviously you'll have to take care not to step on each others toes.
            I agree here also. Really it comes down to where your compositional focus is: If it's in the DAW, then use Num as a plugin. If the DAW is used primarily as a multi-track recorder, then using Numerology standalone or in ReWire mode works pretty well. It is a bit confusing, having to pick between 3 or 4 different strategies, as none is completely ideal...

Jim

Comment

Elaborating the query further ...
              Is it easy/best recording multitrack midi data on Reaper tracks - or best to do N4Pro in stand alone mode, and import midi files back into Reaper?
              Probably recording audio/midi in Numerology then dropping into Reaper later on will be a bit easier, but both should work.

Plus - will my outputs of my hardware (Mytek 8x192) that are running in Reaper be available in stand alone mode?
              Yes!

Cheers,
              Jim

Comment

OK - I now got my head around it,
                thanks Technobear & Jim for your help.
                best

Comment

Working...
                X