Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

osx: Numerology becomes unkillable ghost app (i think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osx: Numerology becomes unkillable ghost app (i think)

I've noticed a few times that after quitting Numerology, after exiting, the program still lurks in the "Force Quit Applications" list, where it can be fully killed off. So it often needs double-quitting.

Today it's taken it's dislike of quitting up to a new level. Having quit Numerology 15 minutes previously, I load up a session in Ableton, press play, and a unexpected midi part starts playing (pleasantly in key, fwiw). But there's no part playing on that channel, its coming from an outside source. So I open MIDI Monitor.app to find out wts is going on, and it shows a stream MIDI notes being sent from Numerology Out 1.

But Numerology is extra dead atm, it's not appearing in the "Force Quit" list, nor in Activity Monitor.app , at least not in any recognizable form.

And the Numerology Out 1 is, lo behold, still an active midi-input in the Ableton input list.

As much as I like this unexpected midi part, it is a bit disconcerting how it's coming from the ether, & that I might have to restart my computer to shut it up.

also, Ableton doesn't want to quit, its complaining that a Rewire slave is running (ie Num3) - this is how I usually find out Num3 is undead. This time I really can't kill it tho.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8P View Post
      I've noticed a few times that after quitting Numerology, after exiting, the program still lurks in the "Force Quit Applications" list, where it can be fully killed off. So it often needs double-quitting.
      Is this when running Numerology in Standalone, or Rewired?

Today it's taken it's dislike of quitting up to a new level. Having quit Numerology 15 minutes previously, I load up a session in Ableton, press play, and a unexpected midi part starts playing (pleasantly in key, fwiw). But there's no part playing on that channel, its coming from an outside source. So I open MIDI Monitor.app to find out wts is going on, and it shows a stream MIDI notes being sent from Numerology Out 1.
      There wouldn't be any way that by hitting play in Ableton, that an outside program would respond to that unless that other program was in rewire mode. It sounds like N3 is somehow launching in Rewire mode along with Ableton Live. That is the _only_ way you would be able to get N3 playing by hitting play in Live. This is kinda strange!

What version of Mac OS are you running?
      What version of Ableton Live are you running?
      Do you have the latest build (for your version) of Numerology?

But Numerology is extra dead atm, it's not appearing in the "Force Quit" list, nor in Activity Monitor.app , at least not in any recognizable form.

And the Numerology Out 1 is, lo behold, still an active midi-input in the Ableton input list.

As much as I like this unexpected midi part, it is a bit disconcerting how it's coming from the ether, & that I might have to restart my computer to shut it up.
      Just to make sure its nothing having to do with the permissions, open up disk utility and "repair permissions" on your OS drive.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Interesting -- I've never seen or heard of this behavior before. As Jason brought out, be sure to keep track of when N3 is running in ReWire mode vs. standalone. Check your computer for any crash logs, they'll be in
        <your home dir>/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (10.6.4 or later)
        or <your home dir>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

Just go ahead and send me the last 4-5 reports both for Numerology and Live. Also, often when you do a force-quit, you will get a report then as well, so if that happens, send me that also.

Thanks,
        Jim

Comment

Working...
        X