Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octave shifting individual notes

Hi,

I'm just checking over a few things before I commit to buying a mac to run Numerology.

I have a launchpad and currently use the Novation version of the MAX4live step sequencer, one of the features I find very useful is the ability to shift individual notes up or down 4 octaves with the launchpad. Does Numerology have the same feature as I can only see from the demos the ability to shift the whole sequence up or down in octave jumps, I know you can change the range but I dont know if that would have the same effect.

Regards

Paul

yes you can

The launchpad implemention of Numerology is just a joy to use.

When working on a sequence from the sequence control pages with the Launchpad you have on the topmost row of square buttons your octave control where you can shift the matrix up or down over eight octaves.

So when looking at the tones 7x8 tones you have three colours possibilties for the active tones so you can decode at a glance where the active notes are placed within the range;

green notes are in the presently active range.

red notes are below the presently active range.

amber notes are above the present octave.

To transpose a note to another octave you navigate to that octave by pressing one of the octave buttons, which turns from amber to green.

Then press the note that you want to transpose which will change colour from either red or amber to green.

It works great..

Regards

Wade
    Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-09-2011, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Welcome Paul!

Have you checked out Jim's Launchpad videos? Lots of answers for you there.
      http://vimeo.com/five12/videos

Like TwoToneShuzz said, the short answer is yes.

For example with a MonoNote, you can manipulate 32 steps of 7 pitches over 8 octaves. The color-coding is helpful too. And while it's neat to not have to enter notes with a mouse, the other pages really make the implementation shine. My personal favorite is the Start/End/Skip page.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was looking at the sequencer button section where the octave for the whole sequence was being set, that's where i was getting confused.

This looks like the first software sequencer that can do everything a hardware sequencer can do + a lot more (like ratcheting or note divide), pity I have to buy a mac to run it after building a top end PC to run mysetup

Now i just gota work out which iMac to get and wether or not I use volta to control my modular, looks quite interesting

Comment

Originally posted by paulshillito View Post
          [...] pity I have to buy a mac to run it after building a top end PC to run mysetup

Now i just gota work out which iMac to get [...]
          Buying a Mac just for Numerology, epic win!!

Nevertheless, have you considered installing a so-called hackint0sh partition (i.e run OS X on a non-Apple pc system)? FWIW, I have a pc system that could be considered top end when I built it in 2005, and it is running Numerology on OS X 10.5.4 without any problems (as far as I can tell).

Comment

Originally posted by paulshillito View Post
            Now i just gota work out which iMac to get and wether or not I use volta to control my modular, looks quite interesting

I highly recommend the audio/cv approach to controlling a Modular. It is perhaps a touch fiddly to get working the first couple times, but I found it is much more flexible in the long run than a MIDI/CV unit. And, of course, with N3 Pro, you can generate CV's directly... A couple tutorials here:
            http://five12.com/t-volta.html
            http://five12.com/t-silentway.html

On the mac front, don't discount the Mac Mini -- If you're happy w/ the monitor and keyboard you have, then you can save some $$ -- especially if you look for a Mini that is a year or two old -- though I do recommend getting one with a core 2 duo at 2 Ghz or better. The main downside to the mini is the disk -- laptop-sized drives are never as fast as a full-size unit. The GPUs in the mini also tend to be a bit weak, but that tends to only affect gamers and Quartz Composer junkies... (like me).

And, of course, you can dual boot any intel mac, or run one computer headless with VNC, or a KVM switch, there are many options... OTOH, a quad-core iMac may be even be fast enough to run audio apps in mac and windows partitions simultaneously -- though I'm just guessing there...

Cheers,
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Sjoerd View Post
              Buying a Mac just for Numerology, epic win!!

Nevertheless, have you considered installing a so-called hackint0sh partition (i.e run OS X on a non-Apple pc system)? FWIW, I have a pc system that could be considered top end when I built it in 2005, and it is running Numerology on OS X 10.5.4 without any problems (as far as I can tell).
              Ditto (on 10.6.6)

Comment

Working...
              X