AU to play back a MIDI file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by metabeat View Post
    I have EZplayer but there is no Midi Out available for this AU so I can't routing this into a Drumsampler... But in other apps (Ableton Live) EZplayer have a Midi Out and it is a very useful Drumsequencer. Work fine fine with the host in sync, start/stop, loop, transport etc.
    I'll see if I can get an NFR -- I'd like to add AU MIDI out support to Numerology, but I need an AU that I can test with...

Cheers,
    Jim

Comment

I just figured out some things with AU midi out and it seemed to be generally a problem for a lot of AU hosts, for example Plogue Bidule, Audio Mulch can't handle the AU Midi Out of any Midi Out capable AU plugins. Ableton Live must have a special workaround for this and/or a brilliant coder who was reading about the deeper AU/Host specs in some ( hidden? ) documentary.

In VST and AU capable modular hosts like Bidule the EZplayer (Pro) offers as an AU: one Midi in and a Stereo Audio Out (2 chan) - but the VST interpreting the right I/Os: one midi in, one midi out.

Jim, no urgently need for to use EZplayer as example, the free AU "hypercyclic" from mucoder should do the job. Hypercyclic is just a very cool arp with complex routing for output. For this AU I can use the virtual numerology port, but EZplayer didn`t offer this option. As workaround I use Bidule AU now as "midi option plugin for the plugin" and it works fine so far.
      Last edited by metabeat; 02-08-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up about hypercyclic, looks good as an ARP!

My experiment with re-using a MIDI file works to some degree. I wrote a perl script which parses the MIDI file saved by N3, and creates one or more mononote setting files. These I import into a mononote to recreate the notes of a monophonic solo including velocity and note duration. It's pretty limited - obviously the playing will be quantized to whatever resolution is used for the mononote module, I've settled on 16th for the time being.

Mod wheel action isn't implemented yet, that would require parsing the MIDI file and separately producing CV gen setting files.

For the time being the script works pretty well for re-using any solos from the midi files.

Comment

BTW: The Numerology AU Plugin showing the right midi out in every host I`ve used in this tests. It seemed to me that Jim do the implementation the right way, but some vst devels (like toontrack) porting "quick'n'dirty" so there is a prob with the midi out of the AU version of the plugin. Host like Ableton Live have a workaround for this behavior, but smaller company's haven't the man power to debug the mistakes of others. Must be something like this or similar.
          Last edited by metabeat; 02-10-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Just as a follow up, over a month later and no-one replied to my question on the "pre-sales" toon-track forum. Don't know what to make of that.

Comment

Originally posted by circuit View Post
              Just as a follow up, over a month later and no-one replied to my question on the "pre-sales" toon-track forum. Don't know what to make of that.
              Email the company directly -- from experience I can say that sometimes it can be easy to miss a forum post...

Cheers,
              Jim

Comment

I just figured out some things with AU midi out and it seemed to be generally a problem for a lot of AU hosts, for example Plogue Bidule, Audio Mulch can't handle the AU Midi Out of any Midi Out capable AU plugins.
                That seems odd to me -- I found just the opposite: AudioMulch, Bidule and Studio One are the hosts that I have confirmed support MIDI out. There is one trick though with Bidule and AudioMulch : you have to make an audio output connection from the AU to an audio output before anything will work.

Ableton Live must have a special workaround for this and/or a brilliant coder who was reading about the deeper AU/Host specs in some ( hidden? ) documentary.

In VST and AU capable modular hosts like Bidule the EZplayer (Pro) offers as an AU: one Midi in and a Stereo Audio Out (2 chan) - but the VST interpreting the right I/Os: one midi in, one midi out.
                The VST spec supports MIDI out from plugins, and all hosts that I know about are good about supporting it -- thus my interest in making a VST version of Numerology. MIDI Output support for AUs was a bit late to the game. It was not terribly well promoted and has not been well supported by AU Hosts. Since Ableton Live supports MIDI out from VSTs, I'm actually a little surprised they didn't add it also for AUs -- the UI give the impression that there is MIDI available, but that is not the case.

Cheers,
                Jim

Comment

Working...
                X