Microtonal Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microtonal Features

Hi there, I've already mentioned with jim about wanting microtonal features in numerology, but thought i'd put my ideas up here to see if anyone else had additional thoughts.

I'd love it if there was a microtonal tuning module that could take midi input from any stack modules and output microtonal midi in various different ways--MIDI tuning standard, pitch bend, etc. Being able to split up polyphonic note information to multiple midi channels to take advantage of multitimbral midi devices that don't have any other ways to be microtuned would be excellent.

It would also be great to have different ways to input the scales--with frequencies, ratios, equal temperament divisions to different numbers of divisions per octave, cents etc. Alternately, maybe to offset all that GUI and development complexity that would come with a custom scale designer, numerology could just accept Scala files! Making scales in scala is a snap, so that would be great, too.

helpful for this, also, would be the ability to set the pitch "range" of the various sequencers to specific values to reflect different scales and divisions of the octave being used.

A random idea--being able to dynamically change the tuning of the microtuning module--switching between scales in realtime via midi or numerology control signals!

For other numerology users who are already wishing for these features, I've put together one small solution myself. Unfortunately, it requires reaktor, but you can see a reaktor patch I made for this purpose on my blog:

http://www.bagger288.com/goldenmaster/?p=173

and just for fun, here's a track I used that microtuner in:
    http://bagger288.com/music/DanceOfTheLoveGod.mp3

the tx81z was tuned with its own internal microtuning features, but I tuned my roland mks-70 with the reaktor patch. I was sending it two separate melodies on two different midi channels, and processing the midi in reaktor.

Originally posted by bagger288 View Post
    It would also be great to have different ways to input the scales--with frequencies, ratios, equal temperament divisions to different numbers of divisions per octave
    I'm not sure what you mean by that last one, can you provide an example?

The alternate tuning design I'm working on is pretty comprehensive, and encompasses much of what you describe. One of the things I would like to provide is solid support in the sequencing modules for dealing with tunings with more than 12 notes per octave.

Cheers,
    Jim

Comment

sounds great jim! I was just putting this up here in case anyone wanted to chime in. About what I said, I think maybe I could have made it more clear--I just mean the ability to do equal temperament tuning in any number of steps per octave--12, 9, 49, 19, 20, 21, 7, whatever etc.

Comment

That's the key (no pun intended) -- being able to deal with "systems" that have more than 12 notes per octave -- not just for tunings, but also for scale quantization and for programming the sequencers themselves...

Cheers,
        Jim

Comment

Hi Jim, hi Bagger,

I use in this moment already the demo version of Numerology to test how it works with my equipment.

Originally posted by bagger288 View Post
          It would also be great to have different ways to input the scales--with frequencies, ratios, equal temperament divisions to different numbers of divisions per octave, cents etc.
          That's exactly what I am looking for. I have a hardware step sequencer build in my small Doepfer system with eight analogue knobs to adjust every note without scale quantizing. So I can adjust every note e.g. in just temperament according to the base note (base note C: interval C - E, major third, have to sound without frequency beatings. Base note C: interval C - G, quint, have to sound without frequency beatings) without the frequency beatings in intervals you have in normal temperament. The intervals sounds very clean and pure.

Is it possible to add a function in Numerology, which produces adjustable microtonal pitch bending data added to the regular note pitch data? The pitch bending data have to be adjust in cents (1 cent = 1/100 half note).

Best regards,

Robert!

Comment

Originally posted by Sigmuntowski View Post
            Is it possible to add a function in Numerology, which produces adjustable microtonal pitch bending data added to the regular note pitch data? The pitch bending data have to be adjust in cents (1 cent = 1/100 half note).
            I think there is a way to do this by driving the Pitch Bend module with 'remapped' note number data from the MonoNote, but I will have to poke around a bit to confirm. It would work by using the "Interval Out" of a MonoNote to set the current step of a ModulationSeq, which would be used to generate a cents offset to send to the pitch bender -- along with some scaling and offsets here and there.

In the meanwhile, you could use Silent Way. Os just posted an example of how to do microtuning with it:
            http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/

Cheers,
            Jim

Comment

Hello Jim,

Originally posted by jim View Post
              I think there is a way to do this by driving the Pitch Bend module with 'remapped' note number data from the MonoNote, but I will have to poke around a bit to confirm. It would work by using the "Interval Out" of a MonoNote to set the current step of a ModulationSeq, which would be used to generate a cents offset to send to the pitch bender -- along with some scaling and offsets here and there.
              that sounds interesting - I tested some connections between MonoNote, pitch bend module, some MIDI in/out and internal CV conections, but I have not make it working like I want it... I will just test it again...

Originally posted by jim View Post
              In the meanwhile, you could use Silent Way. Os just posted an example of how to do microtuning with it:
              Oh oh... very interesting software plugins and a good video tutorial, but too complicated for me... so sorry... For me as a MIDI user it seems to be the best thing an integrated slider in MonoNote for adjustment of each note in cent, for e.g. normal position "0", slide it downwards to "-100 cent" and downwards to "+100 cent".

Best regards,

Robert!

Comment

Hi everyone,

please have a look at this here:

www.hermode.com

Seems to be that thing I am looking for... something like that as a plugin for Numerology?

;-)

Best regards,

Robert!

Comment

Bumping this for N4. Scala support please. I have a ton from Metasynth. Or at least just intonation.....

Comment

Have noted -- no news yet on this front...

Cheers,
                    Jim

Comment

I've been messing with using mononotes, pitchbend, MIDI to CV and ParamMods...

It's not too bad using with multitimbral hardware synths, but most of those, that I own, at least, already support micro or alternate tunings.

With soft synths it gets to bee too much for me to manage, with multiple plug in windows.

If anyone has some other ideas...scanning the thread more deeply now. I'd really love to get Numerology's dynamic modulations working with (more) scale interactions.

Comment

Please please find a way to have Scala support!!! To me this is the missing link to this module and my needs. I don't want to buy an ER-301 when my Vector can do this. Please add this Jim!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X