"Freeze" stacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Freeze" stacks

I mentioned this in one of the threads about an Audio Unit implementation, but I thought I should make it more formal .

As a laptop user I have limited CPU capacity, so I would find it really useful to be able to "freeze" a track, i.e. render it to audio and disable any instruments and effects to save on CPU.

This could perhaps be done in the timeline panel.

Originally posted by sbaishya View Post
    I would find it really useful to be able to "freeze" a track, i.e. render it to audio and disable any instruments and effects to save on CPU.
    Proper "freezing" would require some more steps. The sample player should have to be instanciated and loaded with the created audio file to replace the disabled virtual instruments and modules.

This would not work well with music that includes any amount of random processing though.
    Best wishes
    Per Boysen
    perboysen.com
    soundcloud.com/pboy

Comment

Originally posted by Per Boysen View Post
      Proper "freezing" would require some more steps. The sample player should have to be instanciated...
      This should be invisible, i.e. the sample player should not appear in the stack.

This would not work well with music that includes any amount of random processing though.
      What issues would there be (I haven't tried any random processing stuff, so I don't know)? Would you have to render to an audio file at some point anyway?

Comment

Are you sure it would be optimal to implement the sample player as hidden? I can imagine some users may want to go one step further and process the audio file inside the sample player.

One issue with playing back a recording of a random process is that it takes away the random element from the music.
        Best wishes
        Per Boysen
        perboysen.com
        soundcloud.com/pboy

Comment

Hi Per,

Thanks for the response.

Are you sure it would be optimal to implement the sample player as hidden? I can imagine some users may want to go one step further and process the audio file inside the sample player.
          I see, that could be interesting .

One issue with playing back a recording of a random process is that it takes away the random element from the music.
          Still can't see how this is different from having to do a final mixdown?

Comment

Originally posted by sbaishya View Post
            Still can't see how this is different from having to do a final mixdown?
            Could be the same. But quite often you do a temporary freeze just to save CPU cycles, and then you might unfreeze later on to make some changes to the part. Or you could freeze sequencer created audio in order to manipulate that audio file to reach the next stage in the production.
            Best wishes
            Per Boysen
            perboysen.com
            soundcloud.com/pboy

Comment

Freezing a track is basically the same as having track-based audio recording: you record the audio for a track (in the background, faster than real-time), then queue it up and play it in sync with the transport. The only bit missing is editing, but once you learn how to play one 'clip' properly, playing multiple ones is no big deal. I'm not opposed to going in that direction (when the time is right), I just wanted to make it clear how closely those two features are related.

In the meantime, I'm not sure how best to suggest you handle the CPU overhead issues, other than possibly syncing up a low-overhead DAW to play back frozen tracks.

Cheers,
              Jim

Comment

Working...
              X