Undo/redo + autosave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undo/redo + autosave

Command-Z/Command-Shift-Z for UNDO/REDO.

+ AUTOSAVE function with time marks in the name of the file.

I'm bumping this - undo/redo would be very good to have. I realize it might not be easy at this point, but is there any possibility it could be implemented sometime in the future?

Comment

Yes!

Jim

Comment

Undo/redo + autosave

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Lars <> wrote:

> undo/redo would be very good to have
        ...yup, and the history of parameter tweaks should go all the way back
        to the first state you were at when first starting the sequence
        engine.

This opens up for an interesting performance technique where you
        create a bunch of musical events and then simply step backwards along
        the undo history (Undo). You may also change direction go forwards
        again (Redo) for a while. Or bounce between two earlier states
        (Undo-Redo-Undo-Redo....)
        Best wishes
        Per Boysen
        perboysen.com
        soundcloud.com/pboy

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
          Yes!

Jim
          Hooray! =)

Comment

Originally posted by Per Boysen View Post
            This opens up for an interesting performance technique where you
            create a bunch of musical events and then simply step backwards along
            the undo history (Undo). You may also change direction go forwards
            again (Redo) for a while. Or bounce between two earlier states
            (Undo-Redo-Undo-Redo....)
            You're making my head hurt!

Comment

+1 !

Originally posted by jim View Post
              You're making my head hurt!
              Uhm, really? I thought that multi-level undo/redo is just as easy as single-level undo with Apple's Undo Architecture? Getting all (model layer) objects to perform the necessary undo/redo registration for each and every state change will be some work, I imagine. But I haven't used it yet.

Comment

You are correct -- once you have undo/redo at all, having a complete history is not that much more work. I'm just teasing Per for turning a somewhat un-exciting (but important and useful) feature into a performance technique, before it has even been implemented...

Cheers,
                Jim

Comment

On the one hand, I was actually just getting to like the missing undo/redo functions... Maybe leave them out of the Pro version of N2, and also rip out open/save project -- just restore last state.

On the other hand: great!!
                  May I suggest looking at how Reaper handles project history: multiple undo paths, save history in additional project file (plain text format; although plugin state dumps aren't very human readable, some other stuff is), load history with project. All implemented as user configurable options.

As for performance enhancement: how about a SmackBook-type undo/redo shortcut? Also, please consider adding some hook for remotely controlling undo/redo stepping, e.g. over MIDI/OSC (now if we could hack just a little deeper into that Nike+iPod thing we can literally step forward/backward... until then, swinging the iPhone in your pocket will have to do).

Comment

There are some interesting options to consider, such as (where possible), separate undo histories per stack, but I will have to avoid getting too carried away...

Cheers,
                    Jim

Comment

A photoshop style undo would be really, really good.

i.e. you can see a list of all operations (from starting would be cool!) and then coose to uno ay one at any point rather than having to go back and undo 7 steps to correct something that happened before.

It's a right old pain having no undo, already fallen over several times with this however numerology is pretty awesome so far

Comment

Undo is on the list, with history, the whole bit -- one of the reasons it hasn't happened earlier is so I can make sure to include stuff that really matters -- such as deleting modules, etc..

Cheers,
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X