Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • koenig
    • Jul 2011

Multi head sequencer

Now here is an interesting take on sequencing: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/1...e-a-sequencer/ Is this something that might eventually make it into Numerology? I for one would be thrilled.

I will, of course, get the app to test the idea but I am a natural sceptic when it comes to using toys in serious situations; I prefer real computers...
  • nil
    • Aug 2011

Program the same initial sequence on several Mono/PolyNote modules, and tweak their playback controls on the fly.
    Then use FaderBox(es) to control the most relevant parameters.
    Then map its/their faders to your favorite MIDI controller et voilĂ , done.

Comment

• jim
      Administrator
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by nil
      Program the same initial sequence on several Mono/PolyNote modules, and tweak their playback controls on the fly.
      Bingo -- and use module presets to make copying patterns quick and easy (and to build your own pattern library).

Jim

Comment

• koenig
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by nil
        I am well aware of the possibilities with a MonoNote and that I can copy one to create several ones where I then change the parameters. What I was aiming for was the apparent ease with which the user could create these different interpretations of a sequence, keeping one sequence as master. (NB. I say "apparent" as it turns out that this particular app is only for iPad, of which I have none).

I, for one, do not know how to take a copy of one sequence in Numerology and invert it; a common technique in fugues (often in concert with a transposition or a change of direction, but that is trivial).

Perhaps I am only ignorant (which I am) of all the features in Numerology but my point is that, as far as I can see, Numerology is in this sense nowhere near this particular genre of sequence interpretation and hence my suggestion.

Now, if this is a path that Jim is interested in following is a totally different question. I was merely pointing out a very slick interface for doing some interesting things simultaneously with one sequence as a master.
        Last edited by koenig; 10-11-2015, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• nil
          • Aug 2011

With the MonoNote module, use the 1/x toggle to invert the note intervals
          You'll find it on the right side of the sequencer, next to the Evolve and Humanize sections.

To alter the playback direction, most (if not all) sequencers have a Dir. menu with several options.

Octave, speed, direction etc... can be modulated, so you can map them to a FaderBox to play your stack.

To copy the original pattern over many MonoNotes, you can also rec the MIDI Out from the 1st MN to its sibling through their MIDI Ins (in the rear of the stack). By mapping the slaved MNs rec buttons, you can even record a pattern on the fly with your MIDI keyboard / grid controler in the master MN, and "duplicate" it right after that.

Insanely powerful instant-fugue machine once set according to your needs and aim. More than a dedicated new sequencer module IMHO.
          Last edited by nil; 10-11-2015, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• koenig
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by nil
            With the MonoNote module, use the 1/x toggle to invert the note intervals
            You'll find it on the right side of the sequencer, next to the Evolve and Humanize sections.
            Never noticed that thing, nor did I know it was clickable...

To alter the playback direction, most (if not all) sequencers have a Dir. menu with several options.

Octave, speed, direction etc... can be modulated, so you can map them to a FaderBox to play your stack.
            This I knew…

To copy the original pattern over many MonoNotes, you can also rec the MIDI Out from the 1st MN to its sibling through their MIDI Ins (in the rear of the stack). By mapping the slaved MNs rec buttons, you can even record a pattern on the fly with your MIDI keyboard / grid controler in the master MN, and "duplicate" it right after that.

Insanely powerful instant-fugue machine once set according to your needs and aim. More than a dedicated new sequencer module IMHO.
            Again - news to me. I knew that Numerology is insanely powerful and I really did try to do my homework before posting so as not to make a fool out of myself.

Epic fail.

Thanks nil!

Comment

• jim
              Administrator
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by koenig
              Again - news to me. I knew that Numerology is insanely powerful and I really did try to do my homework before posting so as not to make a fool out of myself.

Epic fail.
              Not at all! -- you brought up that trick on the forum and got some folks to mention ways to do it in Numerology, so now anyone that browses this way can learn how to do it as well!

Cheers,
              Jim

Comment

• nil
                • Aug 2011

Not a fail at all! I hope I didn't sound pretentious or anything like that, I was just trying to help

I'll add that it's your post that made think think about a way to do what you asked for in Numerology, so thank you for bringing it! It was a useful challenge I "had" to solve out too hehe.

I'm slowly becoming a fluent Numerologist, but believe me when I say I got tons and tons of tips/help from Jim and all the users here. It's all about sharing knowledge!

Comment

• jue
                  Numerologist
                  • Nov 2008

MultiHead SeQu

Hello,

please have a look here:
                  http://five12.net/showthread.php?p=14556#post14556

best
                  jue
                  sigpic

Comment

• jim
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2008

Here's another 'classical' technique to explore -- appropriately enough, called 'sequence': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequence_(music)

... So just using one sequencer (say an IntervalSeq) to transpose another (MonoNote, PolyNote) -- but at a more rapid rate than every bar or two...

Jim

Comment

• jue
                      Numerologist
                      • Nov 2008

MultiHead SeQu

Hello,

new version with a documentation you could get here:
                      http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=3140

best
                      jue
                      sigpic

Comment

• apeirophobe
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by jue
                        MultiHead SeQu

Hello,

new version with a documentation you could get here:
                        http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=3140

best
                        jue
                        Hi, very interested in trying this but the link is no longer valid.

Comment

• p.j.
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by apeirophobe

Hi, very interested in trying this but the link is no longer valid.
                          jue's examples are in the file exchange >> projects subform:

https://forum.five12.net/forum/file-...multihead-sequ
                          https://forum.five12.net/forum/file-...rebuilt-series

Comment

Working...