Groove Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groove Clock

Bringing an old discussion back to life ....

Grooveclock and odd meters ....

Well, I think I have always come back to this since I use Numerology and I will always come back to it until it gets implement

As it is currently the groove clock has no variable step size like the other sequencer - but it has 16 steps - which for itself is not a bad starting point to add better support for odd meters.

I think what could help are selectable note lengths - say - one step in groove clock is now a 16th note, however with a 8th note a lot more meters possible (for 12/8, etc. ) and the resulting limitations (cannot control each 16th note) may be acceptable im most cases. Maybe also 'bar length' and 'groove length' should be changeable from beats to other values - 8th (for 7/8 etc.).

Also I would love to see if the tempo would change with the transport tempo again .... - maybe with an offset-function (I think one can still use the divider in the sequencers for divisions/ratios etc.)

Those steps would add a lot of flexibility to the current design.

Thanks for considering

best

Originally posted by steff3 View Post
    Bringing an old discussion back to life ....

Grooveclock and odd meters ....

Well, I think I have always come back to this since I use Numerology and I will always come back to it until it gets implement
    And that is totally the right thing to do!

Originally posted by steff3 View Post
    As it is currently the groove clock has no variable step size like the other sequencer - but it has 16 steps - which for itself is not a bad starting point to add better support for odd meters.

I think what could help are selectable note lengths - say - one step in groove clock is now a 16th note, however with a 8th note a lot more meters possible (for 12/8, etc. ) and the resulting limitations (cannot control each 16th note) may be acceptable im most cases. Maybe also 'bar length' and 'groove length' should be changeable from beats to other values - 8th (for 7/8 etc.).

Also I would love to see if the tempo would change with the transport tempo again .... - maybe with an offset-function (I think one can still use the divider in the sequencers for divisions/ratios etc.)

Those steps would add a lot of flexibility to the current design.

Thanks for considering

best
    I pretty much agree with all of this. One thing I should point out is that I plan to add groove timing options to all sequencers, as well as some way to 'share' grooves between sequencers. Those features will come first, as they will solve some of the issues you mention above -- such as timing adjustments for triplet-based step sizes. After that is done, I will re-examine support for compound and odd-meters and look for some appropriate solutions -- as well as the groove features in the GrooveClock module. Tempo changes and bar changes are an interesting conundrum that I have yet to fully explore...

Cheers,
    Jim

Comment

Working...
    X