Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ableton sync with CV Tools

Hi all,

Loving the Vector so far, really refreshing to have a sequencer break the norm in Eurorack format. First and hopefully the last issue I have encountered...

I use Ableton CV tools to sync up my Eurorack and run as master clock. This has worked with every sequencer I have owned up until now. The vector picks up the clock signal and sync to the tempo no problem when set to RC24. CV Tools is sending clock signals at 24PPQN. But the vector does not want to run. Any ideas? I have only had the module a week so could easily be missing something with the settings.

Before anyone suggests using Midi instead, I wish to keep these free for outgoing signals and not be wasted on incoming run/clock information.

Cheers

Hi 0vBB
    I've been hacking the CV Tools gen~ trigger sync stuff but that was a Vector to Max. I had a few problems with negative pulse and signal levels but managed to tweak them.
    I'll have a check tomorrow. Can you confirm what interface you are sending the signal(s) out of Live and what ports you are using on the Vector. I'll see if I can recreate on my setup
    Karl

Comment

Hi 0vBB

I had a play and it is possible to sync the clock but not to start/stop using the CV Tools Transport.

Patch the clock signal out to the Vector's Clock socket
      Configure the CV Tools, CV Clock out to use the correct out port
      Set CV Clock out to 1/4 Division and 'Normal'. This sends out 1 pulse per quarter note '1 PPQN'

Configure the Vector to use Clock=EXT on the Globals ROUTE page 4/10
      Configure the Vector to use Sync=CR/1 on the Globals GENERL page 1/5

When you start the transport on Live the BPM on Vector should be close to the BPM on live. The LED next to REC should flash also.

This also works if the Division is set to 1/16 and the Sync to CR/4.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for experimenting Karl. How you have set it up is similar to what I have going already. Not being able to get the run to work on Vector is quite frustrating, CV tools has worked with zero issues with every sequencer I have ever owned. I have an Endorphin Shuttle Control due any day now which will be linked to Ableton via USB, I will try this Vector for run signals and hopefully this will prove to be a solid solution for syncing to Ableton as master clock. Cheers!

Comment

I’m no expert on cv tools, but I know some people have had to select pattern mode instead of song mode, however that may be for midi, not cv. Sorry if this post wastes your time. Maybe email Jim?

I am using expert sleepers sw sync with no clock or run issues.

Comment

Your right Steve on the pattern/song mode for midi but no use on CV. My new Control Shuttle will act just like your Expert Sleepers so should be all running fine once that arrives

Comment

Hey that’s a possible plan. To be clear my expert sleepers solution is the silent ways vst using audio outs from my MOTU. So no hardware between. And it’s flawless with both vectors. I hope you get your situation sorted either way.

Comment

Good news update. and hopefully this thread will help others. The Shuttle control works perfectly with Vector running clock and stop/start gates into the clock + run jacks.

Comment

Hello !! , im having problems with cv tools aswell , somebody find a fix for the bug of non starting with transport from clock out cv tools? im going insane hjaaha , all the love

Comment

Heyhey, I've discovered similar problems with the E-RM Multiclock.
                    Direct connection between Multiclock -> Vector doesn't start.
                    Multiclock to Pam's New Workout to Vector -> Everything's fine.
                    BUT there is a (small) delay, I have to live with...

I would be happy to get a direct connection to the Multiclock.

Cheers
                    Thomas

Comment

Thx thomas , is a pity that such expensive and amazing sequencer have so basic clock problems =[ , but i trust they will fix it , otherwize is just sad

Comment

Hey all same issue here. The LED by the "Rec" button visibly locks in but the sequencer wont run. Ive tried to manually hit run and it behaves erratically. Big bummer! Tried this both with CV tools and with Silent Way running CV into my expert Sleepers ES9. 24 PPQN is really the only way to get a good sync with Ableton in my experience. I'm using the new public beta firmware if that helps.
                        Last edited by EarthCry; 11-24-2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Hi Willo,
                          I found a fix for half of the problem: If I pass clock and run signal through a active buffer (Doepfer A180-3) both, Pamelas New Workout and Vector react to the commands.
                          But now there is a new Problem: Offset between Pam and Vector and Jitter (Vector only). Pam is solid as a rock, Vector is a little wonky.

I know, that I shouldn't care too much about these things, but it just stops my creative flow, if I discover 10ms offset...

Cheers
                          Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblewires View Post
                            Hi Willo,
                            I found a fix for half of the problem: If I pass clock and run signal through a active buffer (Doepfer A180-3) both, Pamelas New Workout and Vector react to the commands.
                            But now there is a new Problem: Offset between Pam and Vector and Jitter (Vector only). Pam is solid as a rock, Vector is a little wonky.

I know, that I shouldn't care too much about these things, but it just stops my creative flow, if I discover 10ms offset...

Cheers
                            Thomas
                            When I run SW SYNC by Expert Sleepers I run 2 separate instances of it. One to PAMS and one to my VECTOR and that means I can fine tune the settings of SW SYNC for each target device. I get solid timing that way. Something to consider.

Comment

Hi people thx for the help means a lot , im using it usb now , every hit really dont fall where it should there is like some ms latency , with sileny way ocationally work but it start stopping yesterday , ll keep experimenting , steve one question for you , would u mind to make a reocording of a short drum in 1 /16 with a exponential decay over 1 minute and see the drift , want to confirm is not only my unit . Cause u have solid timing but when u zoom in u see what im talking about ,

Comment

Working...
                              X