Velocity Lag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velocity Lag?

Hi Jim and other folks. I have some questions about the velocity outputs. I recently purchased a WMD crucible. I was quite excited about the Velocity input on the module and using it with Vector. So, I immediate programmed a sequence and noticed that the velocity changes were always a step behind. For instance if I put gates on all 4 steps of a 4 step sequence and set velocity high for step 3 and low for all the others, the high on Crucible would happen on step 4.

I have had other digital modules, like Akemies Taiko that snapshot CV values and do not update until they receive the next gate. This lead me to believe the Crucible was experiencing the same thing. However, I multed a Gate from Pam's into the Crucible trigger and the velocity input. I attenuated and/or boosted the the gate going into velocity and scoped it on the DATA. The velocity input on Crucible works as expected, if it receive a higher/lower value at the same time as the gate it reacts appropriately.

Which now leads me to infer that the Velocity out on the Vector Sequencer has lag and is slightly delayed from the gate it is sending. I have not yet scoped this, but I am pretty sure that is the culprit. So, I am wondering if maybe you can help address this issue I am experiencing.

I'll give it a look!

Cheers,
    Jim

Comment

Wondering on the progress on this? Now that we have drum lanes with velocity - any lag on the velocity value is noticeable on modules that snapshot as it's always a trigger off.

Comment

I have noticed the same with a MI rings.

Comment

I wonder if this can even be fixed without adding gate/trigger delay. I've seen this issue many times now on other modules and the solution is to delay the trigger, because the CV needs time to get to the correct value. But with a sequencer you definitely don't want delayed triggers/gates, especially if running external gear too, though it is nice to have the option to delay it. NerdSeq has this option, though it's not on by default, but you can add delay per trigger.

Comment

I’m also running into this.

Comment

I've got a similar issue here, if I use the velocity out straight to a VCA it works as intended but when the sequencer is stopped the velocity output doesnt goes back to 0 so the VCA stays open.
              Is it by design or is it a mistake on my side?
              How should I use the velocity out?
              Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by Virzile View Post
                I've got a similar issue here, if I use the velocity out straight to a VCA it works as intended but when the sequencer is stopped the velocity output doesnt goes back to 0 so the VCA stays open.
                Is it by design or is it a mistake on my side?
                How should I use the velocity out?
                Cheers !
                This is unrelated to the relative timing of velocity voltage changes vs. gate events. As a MIDI concept, velocity is always a static value tagged onto a Note On event, and when translated to a control voltage signal it behaves like a series of sampled-and-held voltages that are sampled at each gate and held until the next gate event.

If you want a VCA's amplitude to be scaled by one of the Vector's velocity outputs (or, by the velocity output of any MIDI-to-CV converter) while still being opened/closed by a gate or envelope, you would want to use another VCA in between:

1. VCA1 signal input <= envelope or gate, VCA1 CV input <= velocity
                2. VCA2 signal input <= your audio, VCA2 CV input <= VCA1 output

This kind of gain staging chain is what's going on in most synthesizers that allow you to specify the "velocity depth" (or similar language) of an "amplitude envelope" or a "filter envelope".

Hope this helps!

Comment

I have a fix for the 'velocity lag' issue coming in the next 2.0 FW beta (it will be version 1.9.7 or so). As for turning off velocity (and for that matter pitch) at the end of a note, I'll look into that -- I mostly just want to make sure it doesn't clobber some other behavior...

Cheers,
                  Jim

Comment

While it could be interesting in some cases, for me at least, pitch and velocity should remain as they are at the end of a note. I’m all for an option where we can choose the behaviour though.

Comment

Originally posted by autopoiesis View Post

This is unrelated to the relative timing of velocity voltage changes vs. gate events. As a MIDI concept, velocity is always a static value tagged onto a Note On event, and when translated to a control voltage signal it behaves like a series of sampled-and-held voltages that are sampled at each gate and held until the next gate event.

If you want a VCA's amplitude to be scaled by one of the Vector's velocity outputs (or, by the velocity output of any MIDI-to-CV converter) while still being opened/closed by a gate or envelope, you would want to use another VCA in between:

1. VCA1 signal input <= envelope or gate, VCA1 CV input <= velocity
                      2. VCA2 signal input <= your audio, VCA2 CV input <= VCA1 output

This kind of gain staging chain is what's going on in most synthesizers that allow you to specify the "velocity depth" (or similar language) of an "amplitude envelope" or a "filter envelope".

Hope this helps!

Oh I see ! I thought about that thanks for the tip !! I might get another pair of vca's then
                      I guess you really can't have too many VCAs hehe

Comment

Working...
                      X