Vector terrible out of sync horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector terrible out of sync horror

Sorry to bother again , but im really depressed and not happy with vector at all , is really unreliable clocked externally , i try usb , es 3 , pamela and NOTHING WORKS PROPERLY , every hit fall everywhere , there is lot of irregularities , or my unit is broken or these sequencer is terribly bad for external sync.

Any tips? before i send it back and accept the lose of money , shipping and taxes . I save 3 argentinian salaries to get it , was a big effort and see it work so bad makes me very sad.

Any help?

Originally posted by Willo View Post
    Sorry to bother again , but im really depressed and not happy with vector at all , is really unreliable clocked externally , i try usb , es 3 , pamela and NOTHING WORKS PROPERLY , every hit fall everywhere , there is lot of irregularities , or my unit is broken or these sequencer is terribly bad for external sync.

Any tips? before i send it back and accept the lose of money , shipping and taxes . I save 3 argentinian salaries to get it , was a big effort and see it work so bad makes me very sad.

Any help?
    I have a Pamela so I can help replicate your setup. My sync setting on Global page 1 is RC24. I'm sending 24 PPQN clock to Vector and have a run voltage going to Vector as well.

Comment

Is it possible that—despite the theoretical benefits of high frequency clocking—24ppq is not actually the best rate at which to clock Vector? (Just floating the notion—I’m unfortunately not in a position to test at the moment.)

Comment

I believe the way dblondin describes above is the “official” way to clock it from PNW, and works.

I know from FB that Jim has reached out, so hopefully the OP can get everything resolved.

Comment

I just updated to firmware 1.9.32 and I'm also having a problem using PNW as the clock.

When I set the sync to RC24, the sequencer doesn't run. When I set it to Cr/1 or CR/1, it runs, but pauses intermittently.

Running with the internal clock seems fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jruser View Post
            I just updated to firmware 1.9.32 and I'm also having a problem using PNW as the clock.

When I set the sync to RC24, the sequencer doesn't run. When I set it to Cr/1 or CR/1, it runs, but pauses intermittently.

Running with the internal clock seems fine.
            Hey that's interesting. Can you try a couple of things maybe?

1. Make sure your gate is 100% (that might explain the intermittent pauses)
            2. Roll back to previous firmware you were using and test again. If it works as expected, re install the newer beta and try again noting point 3 below
            3. Make sure you create a NEW project when evaluating a new firmware especially a beta

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tips.

I made sure the gate level was at 100%, but it didn't help.

I rolled back to v1.4.14 and can run when sync is at Cr/1 or CR/1 with PNW going into Clock input.

When I reinstall v1.9.32, it's skipping notes with sync at Cr/1 or CR/1, PNW going into Clock input.

I'm saving into a new project each time.

Comment

Originally posted by jruser View Post
                Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tips.

I made sure the gate level was at 100%, but it didn't help.

I rolled back to v1.4.14 and can run when sync is at Cr/1 or CR/1 with PNW going into Clock input.

When I reinstall v1.9.32, it's skipping notes with sync at Cr/1 or CR/1, PNW going into Clock input.

I'm saving into a new project each time.
                Yeah that is interesting. Do log it as you said. Thanks for trying the rollback etc, that is good information.

Comment

Will do. Thanks for your help.

Comment

sadly jruser in 24 ppqn is not reliable at all , i think they are working on a fix , many people think theirs are tight , until they record and see the jitter , they cant believe after , gladly more people start to realize and ask for a fix , gladly jim is already working on the fix to these bug , every day more people arise with these problem .Happyly united we can be stronger.
                    Im sure jim ll eventually fix it , just a bummer now. Be good bros and lets pray all gets fix soon

Comment

It seems that if the BPM is above 72 or so, it's ok. No skipping. I'll have to check some more.

Comment

There are definitely issues with external clocking.

I am using a Digitakt as a master clock. My initial plan was to clock the Vector directly through USB but this can not work because
                        newer Elektron devices only work with high-speed USB hosts (e.g. computers). The USB A interface on the Vector is what is known as “Full Speed".

I have a Hexinverter Mutant Brain in my modular setup so the workaround was to go Digitakt --> Mutant Brain via MIDI Din then use 24PPQN to clock the Vector (RC24). This was not stable at all. There was some jitter and passed 130 BPM, the Vector would totally lose track of the tempo.

After several tests and email exchanges with Jim, he told me "What it looks like to me is that the Mutant Brain is missing a few out-bound sync clocks here and there — and once a single one is missed, the Vector will steadily go out of sync". If there is the same sort of issue with Pamela's New Workout I guess it is safe to assume the Vector may as well be guilty.

For my case scenario, the proposed solution was using Cr/4 which means, amongst other drawbacks, no run/stop.
                        Another alternative for syncing external gear is using "USB MIDI Cable”, basically a USB MIDI interface with a USB A connection on one end and a pair of DIN MIDI connectors on the other.

What a pity to get a high-end modular sequencer packed with features and struggling with something as essential and "basic" as clocking.

Comment

Originally posted by drella22 View Post
                          There are definitely issues with external clocking.

I am using a Digitakt as a master clock. My initial plan was to clock the Vector directly through USB but this can not work because
                          newer Elektron devices only work with high-speed USB hosts (e.g. computers). The USB A interface on the Vector is what is known as “Full Speed".

I have a Hexinverter Mutant Brain in my modular setup so the workaround was to go Digitakt --> Mutant Brain via MIDI Din then use 24PPQN to clock the Vector (RC24). This was not stable at all. There was some jitter and passed 130 BPM, the Vector would totally lose track of the tempo.

After several tests and email exchanges with Jim, he told me "What it looks like to me is that the Mutant Brain is missing a few out-bound sync clocks here and there — and once a single one is missed, the Vector will steadily go out of sync". If there is the same sort of issue with Pamela's New Workout I guess it is safe to assume the Vector may as well be guilty.

For my case scenario, the proposed solution was using Cr/4 which means, amongst other drawbacks, no run/stop.
                          Another alternative for syncing external gear is using "USB MIDI Cable”, basically a USB MIDI interface with a USB A connection on one end and a pair of DIN MIDI connectors on the other.

What a pity to get a high-end modular sequencer packed with features and struggling with something as essential and "basic" as clocking.
                          What happens if you route from Digitakt to vector without the Mutant Brain? Via USB to midi, or midi to midi?

Comment

There is no "DIN" MIDI Input on the Vector, only output (MIDI-1 and MIDI-2).
                            As a consequence, MIDI to MIDI is not possible.
                            For USB to MIDI, I still have to buy a USB MIDI cable and try it out. Using this device, Digitakt MIDI out to Vector USB-A should work, according to other users.

If the use of RC24 sync mode somehow proves not to be reliable, a fix would be welcome though.

I haven't run the output of my Mutant Brain through an oscilloscope but if Pamela 's New Workout users report the same sort of behaviour, the issue is likely to be on the Vector side.

Comment

drella22 indeed !! I have problems in 24ppqn mode with ALL ALL DEVICES computer or pamela , is sad and infuriating but they are working on it , is a must
                              Last edited by Willo; 12-06-2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X