Vector : FEATURE REQUESTS (Orig Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nreeves View Post
    Yeah the Launchpad would definitely be the easiest route, but there are a few things about a solution in this direction I'm attracted to.

I've enjoyed having a KeystationMINI hooked up to the Vector and at this point I'd feel amiss without it (assuming only one device can be used on the USB port). I've got a small A/B switch inline between them so I can switch it between the Vector and MPC, which has been vhandy. If/when Launchpad control is a thing there may be a way to wrangle that via MIDI though.

Having Part/Preset buttons' LED color correlated to the those on the Vector would be great for usability. My Launchpad Mini's LEDs aren't RGB, and the regular Launchpads' footprint is a bit large for my setup/taste.

For performance I really don't like the squishy buttons on the Launchpad. I prefer much more something with confident feedback. The clicky ones you use on the Vector, these ones I borrowed from the Planar, or the ones on Maschine are great in that regard.

One of the ideas with the top/header row of buttons here is that it could be used to speed navigation and performance on the Vector. For example, depending on whether you're writing or performing, the 'Select' button could offer different modes like Focus, Mute, and Solo, so you could tap a Parts header button to focus it on the Vector, or solo, or mute it. I've tried to speak to that with design. Seems it would save a click here and there and be a nice speed to workflow.

Last but not least would be giving some discrete CV controls to Preset navigation without imposing on the existing expander IO, possibly with multiple modes, absolute, incremental +/-, mute etc.. I imagine that could be done more accurately by way of MIDI but this could offer a more immediate, 'modular' method.

I'm sure there are better ways to approach this, but having everything in the rack and in close proximity to one another is very appealing to me from a usability standpoint, as well having an integrated, designed by-and-for Five12 system could be great for integration with Numerology. One can dream anyway!
    Lots of good points there. Clicky buttons are good for performance, and yes we are limited to 1 USB device at a time on the 'A' jack (e.g. no hubs). -- That's a driver-level issue in case anyone is wondering, not my call. In addition to looking into Launchpad integration of some sort, I plan to continue expanding options for keyboard control, both in the Vector and Numerology.

Just opened the PDF in Illustrator! Used the sample preview on their site to generate the labels Solid choice, it's a great face.
    Ahh, duh!! -- Yes, I've been pretty happy with that font.

Cheers,
    Jim

Comment

I was thinking it would be really cool to be able to use the 8 trig ins on the expander to trigger the 8 chance opp slots. This could go in the Chance Bar page with trig as one of the options.
      I’m not sure if this is feasible or batshit crazy, but it would allow for (with the aid of other sequencers) advanced sequencing techniques such as pattern bussing aka pulse address bussing as well as the ability to manually trigger skips, jumps, mutes, ratchet etc.

Comment

My requests (already made to Jim when I signed up just now):
        1. Euclidian Rhythms - on gate tracks and on Expander trigger outs if possible.

2. Polyphonic Drum trigger track to utilise Expander triggers from a single track - and ideally a display that can represent this (maybe xox style..?).

Maybe a stretch, but would also be great if each quarter note could be independently designated a triplet (rather than say make the full track or channel triplets) this would make it so easy to add that triplet flourish every now and again in a bar - which makes a track 'move' beautifully.

3. Envelope outs and/or LFOs on the Pitch or Velocity outs - or even the option to swap the gate out for this..?

It would make the Vector a truly multi-functional CV generator much like the complex function generators of Buchla (eg the venerable MARF ) ;-)

Having said all that, I'm delighted with vector as is - so these would all be bonuses!

Comment

How about modulating chord types? I think it can be really useful.

Comment

How about custom chord shapes?
            I'm not much of a player and don't have all the key/shapes memorized, so being able to just play around on a keyboard and enter the notes I want triggered at each step would make it much more useful for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Allinaire View Post
              My requests (already made to Jim when I signed up just now):
              1. Euclidian Rhythms - on gate tracks and on Expander trigger outs if possible.
              3. Envelope outs and/or LFOs on the Pitch or Velocity outs - or even the option to swap the gate out for this..?
              These would be very useful ...

on Euclidean, would be great to set a trigger output to a Euclidean pattern and then be able to set a second trigger to output the inverse of the first pattern too.

on #3, the simplest (but still useful) approach for an envelope could just be a Decay-only envelope where the numerical parameter for the step is the decay, and attack is always instant. Shapeshifter module has that feature.

Comment

A play thru mode where I can use a connected keyboard to route to a synth and play notes without having to be in REC and RUN status. The reason is that if I have external time sync I dont want to be necessarily messing around hitting PLAY on my DAW or whatever just to jam through the Vector routed to a Synth voice.

Comment

Hi Jim,
                  Would it be possible to have the presets in a scene sort alphabetically or numerically rather than by scene# when scrolling through it?

Since you can’t reorder preset slots I end up renaming my presets in the order I want them to appear. (P01-20) But when you scroll presets in a scene, they appear in the order of their preset slot regardless of their name. I really like playing the sequencer live swapping presets for different parts in the same scene, but not being able to organize the list makes it more difficult! A preset mute would also be most welcome. M in the list after the “..”
                  Last edited by pedalhead; 04-27-2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

An additional option in Auto Load ... No, Yes or Template. Then something to allow you to assign the name of the template project. Or you can just provide a fixed name, like TMPLT99 ... if there’s nothing on the card with that name it would just load an empty project.

Obviously only saves one step of loading the template file yourself ... but I’ve had a few occasions where I started programming for a while before I realized that I forgot to load my template project and had to re-enter all my default routings/setups. Save me from myself!

Comment

Originally posted by pbzoot View Post
                      An additional option in Auto Load ... No, Yes or Template. Then something to allow you to assign the name of the template project. Or you can just provide a fixed name, like TMPLT99 ... if there’s nothing on the card with that name it would just load an empty project.

Obviously only saves one step of loading the template file yourself ... but I’ve had a few occasions where I started programming for a while before I realized that I forgot to load my template project and had to re-enter all my default routings/setups. Save me from myself!
                      Yes -- agreed -- templates would be great, several others have requested that option.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pedalhead View Post
                        Hi Jim,
                        Would it be possible to have the presets in a scene sort alphabetically or numerically rather than by scene# when scrolling through it?

Since you can’t reorder preset slots I end up renaming my presets in the order I want them to appear. (P01-20) But when you scroll presets in a scene, they appear in the order of their preset slot regardless of their name. I really like playing the sequencer live swapping presets for different parts in the same scene, but not being able to organize the list makes it more difficult! A preset mute would also be most welcome. M in the list after the “..”
                        Hmm, how about an easy way to copy n paste presets -- even between parts?
                        (would have to be parts w/ the same 'format')...

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by steve.turner View Post
                          A play thru mode where I can use a connected keyboard to route to a synth and play notes without having to be in REC and RUN status. The reason is that if I have external time sync I dont want to be necessarily messing around hitting PLAY on my DAW or whatever just to jam through the Vector routed to a Synth voice.
                          Yup, that's on the list -- now that I'm playing out again, it's important to me as well. Both 'master keyboard' stuff (splits, layers) and CV to MIDI stuff. Hopefully also MPE friendly too -- I've been eyeing up the Sensel as a portable controller...

Jim

Comment

How about custom chord shapes?
                            I'm not much of a player and don't have all the key/shapes memorized, so being able to just play around on a keyboard and enter the notes I want triggered at each step would make it much more useful for me.
                            Yes! (and modulation...)

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
                              Yes! (and modulation...)

Jim
                              That's gonna be so cool! Can't wait!

Comment

Are those master parameter screens from the superbooth 2019 video in this firmware yet or it’s coming soon? It’s getting my imagination flowing but wasn’t sure if was accessible yet? Looks great

Comment

Working...
                                X