No announcement yet.

Vector : FEATURE REQUESTS (Orig Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In STEP RECORD mode using either native keys or external via USB or MIDI, a button to press to insert a rest rather than dialing a step forwards. Hitting keys and then a rest to punctuate in the old SH101 style is more intuitive to me.

[ Added in 1.0.10: Push Encoder 9 to mute/un-mute a step during Step Record -- jim]
    Last edited by jim; 04-06-2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

In STEP RECORD mode, a way to navigate through the notes to select which one to start recording from.

+1 for the possibility to insert a rest also...

[Also in FW 1.0.10, use Encoder 9 to move the 'cursor' -- jim]
      Last edited by jim; 04-06-2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Absolutely love this sequencer! Here are some of my feature requests:

Copy between parts. I would like to run the same exact sequence on multiple parts at different rates. It takes a while to set up manually with all the options..

I would like to see the chance opps pages re arranged as others have requested.

Sequence length as a target in one of the internal sub sequencers would be really cool.

Transpose destination from CV input as others have requested.

Real time updating of sequence start position and sequence length values on the sequence control page. This is important for monitoring effects of external modulation.

A range option for generated sequences. This is another big one. Currently, generated sequences have a very wide octave range, would be nice to have some control over that.

Might sound crazy, but would be nice to be able to use a part to sequence presets/scenes of the other parts. I don’t know how feasible this is tho.

Finally, more algorithm generator presets please! Drum patterns, bass lines, etc.

Thanks for listening!

Comment

Originally posted by adelag View Post
          In STEP RECORD mode, a way to navigate through the notes to select which one to start recording from.
          Use Encoder 9 to move the 'cursor' -- works both forwards and backwards.

+1 for the possibility to insert a rest also...
          I am looking into options for that now...

FYI: The Rec page currently only shows up to 16 steps, I'm working on an update that will allow you to page through up to 64 steps for longer sequences.

[... that was added in FW 1.0.10 - jim]

Cheers,
          Jim
          Last edited by jim; 04-06-2019, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Another suggestion that has popped up in discussions:

An 'Edit Buffer' approach to handling presets. So, instead of automatically saving all edits immediately to a preset, you have to initiate the save. On-the-fly edits are done in an edit buffer. This would also open up a trick I've been mulling over, which I call 'Cue Edit' : you make a bunch of edits to a preset, but the system only plays the saved one, then you can trigger the new changes to occur on a new bar.

I have to check w/ the memory usage, but all this might mean loosing a preset, but most folks seem OK with that.

Cheers,
            Jim

Comment

So many great ideas here!
              +1 almost everywhere!

I'd like to add:
              - Swapping Parts (of the same kind)
              - Folders and basic sorting for projects (without computer)
              - Lowest/Highest note limiter when generating
              - Ability to start/stop individual parts at any point of the bar/beat grid while Vector playing

Comment

I think there is no Euclidean function in Vector yet? Could not find the term in the manual.

I would love a euclidean kind of trigger function to set high hat patterns or other note pulses and so on.

Euclidean placement of trigs with a random ratchet capability would be very cool

Comment

Auto scroll of pages of parts

Eg I have a 24 step sequence

The page and scrolling LEDS should have option to follow the active step

Comment

I'm sure this could be organized better but as a passing thought this morning..
                    (buttons are scale, large and small LED ones used on Planar 2)

Also, "Proof"?? What an obscure font!

Comment

Originally posted by nreeves View Post

What a brilliant idea, I would be the first to pre order one of these expanders should it materialize.

Comment

A few suggestions which I've discussed with Jim but I've failed to put in writing...

Rx/Tx Program Change messages for Presets and Scenes. I suggest using channels 1-8 for receiving/transmitting program change messages for individual Parts. Use channel 16 for receiving/transmitting program change messages for Scenes. This would be super useful for those who are syncing two Vectors together or those who are syncing Vector to an Elektron box (or vice versa).

Rx/Tx a fixed set of MIDI CCs for controlling Part parameters (specifically parameters on the Control pages) and transport functions (specifically Run and Reset, possibly Record). Might also be useful for recording to the CC lanes on the Velocity page. This would allow control of common parameters from an external controller, without having to switch pages.

An option to use Velocity outputs as a secondary gates, where the Velocity page values control the gate width. This would be useful for modules with an accent input.

Comment

It looks pretty cool, not sure if I could find buttons that small -- well, I could actually... But then I've also got a Launchpad or three floating around...

ROFL... Yes! A friend found it for me.... How exactly did you figure that out???

Cheers,
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
                            But then I've also got a Launchpad or three floating around...
                            Do you have plans to make the launchpads work with the Vector kind of like how they work with Numerology?

Comment

It looks pretty cool, not sure if I could find buttons that small -- well, I could actually... But then I've also got a Launchpad or three floating around...
                              Yeah the Launchpad would definitely be the easiest route, but there are a few things about a solution in this direction I'm attracted to.

I've enjoyed having a KeystationMINI hooked up to the Vector and at this point I'd feel amiss without it (assuming only one device can be used on the USB port). I've got a small A/B switch inline between them so I can switch it between the Vector and MPC, which has been vhandy. If/when Launchpad control is a thing there may be a way to wrangle that via MIDI though.

Having Part/Preset buttons' LED color correlated to the those on the Vector would be great for usability. My Launchpad Mini's LEDs aren't RGB, and the regular Launchpads' footprint is a bit large for my setup/taste.

For performance I really don't like the squishy buttons on the Launchpad. I prefer much more something with confident feedback. The clicky ones you use on the Vector, these ones I borrowed from the Planar, or the ones on Maschine are great in that regard.

One of the ideas with the top/header row of buttons here is that it could be used to speed navigation and performance on the Vector. For example, depending on whether you're writing or performing, the 'Select' button could offer different modes like Focus, Mute, and Solo, so you could tap a Parts header button to focus it on the Vector, or solo, or mute it. I've tried to speak to that with design. Seems it would save a click here and there and be a nice speed to workflow.

Last but not least would be giving some discrete CV controls to Preset navigation without imposing on the existing expander IO, possibly with multiple modes, absolute, incremental +/-, mute etc.. I imagine that could be done more accurately by way of MIDI but this could offer a more immediate, 'modular' method.

I'm sure there are better ways to approach this, but having everything in the rack and in close proximity to one another is very appealing to me from a usability standpoint, as well having an integrated, designed by-and-for Five12 system could be great for integration with Numerology. One can dream anyway!

ROFL... Yes! A friend found it for me.... How exactly did you figure that out???
                              Just opened the PDF in Illustrator! Used the sample preview on their site to generate the labels Solid choice, it's a great face.

Comment

Do you have plans to make the launchpads work with the Vector kind of like how they work with Numerology?
                                Yes -- I don't know for sure if I can make the code fit, but I'm going to give it a try in a few weeks.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X