Allow for internal clock to keep running while a sequence is stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow for internal clock to keep running while a sequence is stopped

I am absolutely in love with my Vector, but one thing that consistently breaks my workflow is that I can't keep the clock running when the sequencer is paused.

I'm using a Make Noise Tempi to distribute clocks to the rest of my gear, and on the surface this setup should just work - but in practice; with Tempi needing two clocks/triggers to sync and catch up to incoming tempo; I have to jump through hoops to consistently sync all my other gear when I stop and restart a sequence I'm working on (.. which is needed often, when fudging around with polyrhythms and odd-time internal modulations).

I am pretty sure that this is a very common issue, seeing as this is how most modules accepting clock behave; in that they need a few beats to align to incoming clock.

If you would allow for the clock to keep running - without stopping when you hit "Run" button - this problem would go away. Solved by a simple boolean option somewhere in the settings. And you still have the option of syncing play/pause state with external modules using the "Run" and "Reset" outputs of Vector.

In a nutshell: this setting would allow Vector to play nice with externally clocked modules, and integrate completely as the brain of a system.

I hope will consider this feature request, and thanks for a wonderful product!

Agree, some modules go crazy for a second or 2 when Vector stops and they need to readjust their tempo.

Comment

Indeed, this would solve some annoyances for me too.

Comment

Great suggestion. I use Pams for this with only the clock connected from vector, and having it always running to get around this for magneto. Would be cool if there was a clock always output mode in the vector. For sure.

Comment

Not sure if I understood you completely, but some modules will just keep the tempo they last had when running. So if Vector is clocked with, say, 105BPM, and you stop the clock and start it again, it should assume that it is the same clock speed as before until determined otherwise, instead of whatever random thing it possibly assumes.
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7k...YJeJw/featured

Comment

I think what OP is referring to is some modules downstream will recalculate BPM based on sequential triggers from the VS (Especially without given a RUN or RESET state). I think if he stops the VS it stops sending triggers at a regular interval and the module downstream will take the pause between stop and start to calculate a new bpm (longer most likely) causing a sudden change in BPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Automat View Post
              Not sure if I understood you completely, but some modules will just keep the tempo they last had when running. So if Vector is clocked with, say, 105BPM, and you stop the clock and start it again, it should assume that it is the same clock speed as before until determined otherwise, instead of whatever random thing it possibly assumes.
              Some modules do act like that, but some don’t....

Comment

Originally posted by adrianf View Post
                I think what OP is referring to is some modules downstream will recalculate BPM based on sequential triggers from the VS (Especially without given a RUN or RESET state). I think if he stops the VS it stops sending triggers at a regular interval and the module downstream will take the pause between stop and start to calculate a new bpm (longer most likely) causing a sudden change in BPM.
                That is exactly what I mean.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for brining it up. I'll chew on it a bit to think of the easiest way to get it done. I nominate steve.turner to keep me on task with this one...

Cheers,
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X