Show Step Specific Parameters While Holding A Step Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Step Specific Parameters While Holding A Step Button

Problem: While editing a sequence it can sometimes be slow and challenging to edit many additional parameters for a single step.

Example: If I want to change the velocity, gate and ratchet for just one step, that requires me to navigate to 3 respective pages and toggle each parameter separately.

Solution: The Vector Sequencer hardware has 8 white buttons that line up with steps. While pressing and holding a step button the screen changes to a bank of 8 parameters for that specific step.

Example: I'm on the pitch view and I want to make step 4 more expressive. I press and hold white button 4 and the screen and knobs update to 8 different parameters for that specific step. Such as PITCH | GATE | VELOCITY | LEN | REPEAT | RATCHET | CHANCE TYPE | CHANCE PROB

You could even take this one step further and while holding the white button pressing next then pages over to the secondary bank of parameters such as Glide, Groove, Repeat, CC1, CC2, CC3 etc etc

The vector sequencer is already amazing but I think this would make programming it even more fun.

Great idea. Workflow is everything.

Comment

This is a really great idea. Hearty +1

Comment

Nice idea !! +1 too

Comment

Good idea!

Comment

Wonderful idea.

The described functionality was THE best feature of Malekko's Varigate 8+/Voltage Block combo.
            Dream feature!

Comment

To add one more comment about this great suggestion: the current encoders-to-display mapping is perfect for having a visual overview of a single parameter and for quickly programming its evolution over a sequence. But for going deeper into a single step's attributes, nothing beats this suggestion in workflow efficiency, and I've really enjoyed how well this works in instances like the mentioned Malekko Voltage Block and on Elektron's sequencers.

That said, it's extremely rare for a sequencer to offer both the "wide" and the "deep" UX for sequencing. The ones geared towards maximizing efficiency in "deep" step editing (e.g. Elektron seqs) lack the broad overview of each parameter's values across the sequence. If the Vector offered both and was just a single-part sequencer without subsequencers and its other brilliant bells and whistles, that alone would distinguish it strongly amongst sequencers.

Comment

Great Idea! +1 pls

Comment

Holy hell! This is the best thing I've read today. jim Please consider this feature!

Comment

This does sound interesing, but this sort of thing can be tricky and set up agonizing problems later. Right now, the menus are organized under a set of extensible categories (Pitch, Gate/Groove, etc.): the available buttons are fixed, but the number and nature of the menus beneath each are semi-fluid. Once you try to cut orthogonally through those, you hit questions:

- which eight parameters do you choose? would everyone make the same choices?
                    - do you support more than eight parameters by using prev/next to access a second page?
                    - what happens when the underlying parameters and menus change? (how much do people get upset by those changes?)

I think there’s a similar situation going on with the Dashboard, which already has three more parameter choices than available “keys”.

Comment

It's an interesting idea, and I'm totally not opposed to it, However, as mdoudoroff mentions, the details would be a bit tricky. If you think of a Vector project as existing along dimensions of Part, Parameter and Step, then editing all params across one Step and Part does offer a useful view.

Jim

Comment

Wow, this is a really good idea!

Comment

+1 for this.

Comment

Waw this is an amazing feature for sure. I feel like it's something missing. When i want to edit a step and i have 32 step alrdy it's really hard to edit all the parameters for the step.

Comment

I didn‘t know I needed this UI feature, but now I do!
                              Jim, you can do this! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X